Hustler Forward/Reverse linkage

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hustler Forward/Reverse linkage

Hustler Forward/Reverse linkage

Anyone out there have a photo(s) of the forward/reverse shift linkage set up. I recently aqquired a Hustler which had the engine replaced with a Honda unit. The entire linkage set up has been cut off, among other questionable mods. Otherwise it is fully operational. Anyone have any recommendations for repairing cracks to the tub, I have one under the center axle hub. These 6 wheelers' are all new to me so I appreciate any help.

Well here is a pic of the T-20 end of the linkage if that helps.

2012-12-12_09-55-14_4001772481505.jpg
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

And this seller has some nice detailed pics of the inside of his Hustler on this ebay ad:

HUSTLER HK900 AMPHIBIOUS ATV 6 WHEELER 6X6 AATV LIKE MAX/ARGO NO RESERVE in ATVs | eBay Motors

Hey xbunsenx,

Are you going to start a rebuild thread for your Hustler project? It looks like your machine is the beefier style frame that originally came with a 4 stroke......excellent starting point for a trail machine! Judging by the holes in the motor mount, do you think it had a Kohler K341 single or Briggs flat twin I/C in it? And you even have the original Hustler parking brake assembly still hooked up in it.......you don't see that there too often.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Yeah I will be starting a rebuild thread. I have no idea what motor it had originally because the guy that I got it from only owned it for 3 months. One thing I can say is that besides the motor, everything appears to be unmodified. I will start a thread soon with initial pics to help me identify the machine. On that note, because the drivetrain on mine is original, if you, Notnim, needs any more pics, just let me know.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the links to the pictures, they are a big help, I noticed the parking brake disc on the right side output shaft of the T-20. Mine has a disc on the center axle assembly with no brake mechanism any more, does anybody even use a parking brake on these??

If you have to change from forward to reverse on a hill, a brake will come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Notnim View Post
    Thanks for the links to the pictures, they are a big help, I noticed the parking brake disc on the right side output shaft of the T-20. Mine has a disc on the center axle assembly with no brake mechanism any more, does anybody even use a parking brake on these??
    The Hustler brake units aren't really found too much anymore because i don't believe they worked all that well. Most owners just removed them. If I remember correctly, the brake unit from a Cub Cadet tractor is a direct replacement, I can't remember what models will fit though.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

If you have no parking brake you can have a problem when shifting (like rolling down a hill backwards into a tree). The Hustler system was never very good in my opinion. We used a front brake setup from a Suzuki GS750 and put the discs on the center axle. It works like a charm and stops the heavy beast right now.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I think the point is that Hustler didn't put them on there for looks. BTW, Don's brake setup is awesome. I will be doing the same thing to my Hustler project. The biggest problem I see with the stock brake is that it only stops one side.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    If you have no parking brake you can have a problem when shifting (like rolling down a hill backwards into a tree). The Hustler system was never very good in my opinion. We used a front brake setup from a Suzuki GS750 and put the discs on the center axle. It works like a charm and stops the heavy beast right now.

[IMG][/IMG]
    I can't image who Don is referring to
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

+ Reply to Thread