Hustler won't turn left

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hustler won't turn left

Hustler won't turn left

Hello all I have always wanted a 6x6 and i ran across one the other day and had to have it. Upon getting it home i cleaned the carbs and she fired right up sounds good goes forward and reverse but will not turn left?
    Not sure the year but it is a Hustler with a kohler engine model:K3410S serial:9929458 with a skid steer brad trans serial#: A-5680. It has all new chains sprockets and a new axle and all axles have new bearings. I did notice that the track chains are loose on both sides not sure that is the problem. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated! I will upload pics soon. Thanks in advance Chris!
    Last edited by Mike; 11-21-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: moved posts out of the introduction thread to the Hustler forum in a thread of their own

Quote Originally Posted by tacg View Post
    Hello all I have always wanted a 6x6 and i ran across one the other day and had to have it. Upon getting it home i cleaned the carbs and she fired right up sounds good goes forward and reverse but will not turn left?
    Not sure the year but it is a Hustler with a kohler engine model:K3410S serial:9929458 with a skid steer brad trans serial#: A-5680. It has all new chains sprockets and a new axle and all axles have new bearings. I did notice that the track chains are loose on both sides not sure that is the problem. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated! I will upload pics soon. Thanks in advance Chris!
    Tacg,it's probably going fwd and rev with the right side only driving,thats why it'll turn rt but not left,put the whole machine up on blocks and see if your powering both sides then post up your results.Someone will help you thru this."Ballpark,off the top of my head guess" is that the pin on the left side diamond shifter is the culprit,but we need a little more info.

Joe.

ok i jacked it up both side will turn in forward and reverse. when i try to make it turn right both sides stop

Quote Originally Posted by tacg View Post
    ok i jacked it up both side will turn in forward and reverse. when i try to make it turn right both sides stop
    Hey tacg,just so we're on the same page here. When you had it up did you just verify that both sides were free to move or did you start it,put it in fwd,push both sticks fwd and confirm that power is being delivered to the wheels and then the same for reverse? BTW,will it make right turns under normal operation?

Joe.

I have it sitting on blocks. Fired it up and both sides will turn while running in forward and reverse.when i try to make a left turn both sides stop in either forward and reverse. it will spin on a dime to the right on the ground.

ok was reading up on some posts and went back out and tried it again and noticed that one of the plungers on the bottom is coming out way to far it is exposing 2 rubber rings

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    That would be either a severely worn or broken band, don't drive it until you have gone into the transmission to see which is the problem. There is some invaluable info on the t-20 in the "how to" section here http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...build-how.html Driving your machine with worn bands will damage the drums and that will get costly. Also pay attention to the fluid, the t-20 uses ATF, never put gear oil in a t-20.

BTW welcome to the forums!
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Most likely a broken band. Sorry, but the transmission's gotta come out. The good news is that there's all kinds of information on this site and all kinds of people to help if you run into a problem. If you're mechanically inclined at all, you should have no trouble with the repairs.

Good luck!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Thanks for the advice i have been reading the forums for about 5 hours now didn't realize the time slipping by. I will take the tranny out in the morning and see what is going on in there. i did do some adjusting on the plungers but i think i got something wrong. now the right side won't pull. So gonna start printing out and go through it. I loaded some pics on my computer but now i can't find them to post here. anyone no a easy way to put them on here?

tacg,glad to see others chiming in,check this out for pics,

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/chit-...-pictures.html

Joe.

+ Reply to Thread