Mudd-Ox satisfaction

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mudd-Ox satisfaction

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    I really don't see alot of current owners speaking up.
    Just curious. If the question was about a Centaur or Hydratrek or the new Titan, would you get many comments on this forum? Isn't that more the Mudd-Ox market. Maybe the complaints about working on them would not be complaints if a person was used to working on heavy equipment. I own 3 Bobcat skid steers and refuse to work an any of them because they are a pain and the usually always have issues. The Bobcat dealer seems happy to take my money and they seem to spend a fair amount of time there. The only reason I put up with them is they make a lot of money when or if it snows yet they are considered a very good product. Can you even really compare a Mudd-Ox to something like a Max IV? I think they are two entirely different animals. If you were shopping for a Mudd-Ox what is your alternative? My guess is it is not a 650 HDI or Max IV. would it not be a Titan or something more commercial/industrial? Maybe this is the wrong consumer cross section to even respond to the question.

Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    Buzz

In my previous post I stated that on the second day of owning my Mudd-Ox demo ( 42 hours on it ) the altenator belt broke ,and the automatic fan swtich that cools the hydrolics stopped working. I was able to put the fan switch on manual, but since this was on sunday, I could'nt buy the altenator belt that I needed. Even on monday only one auto parts store in this small town had an altenator belt that was close to the size that I needed. When I installed the altenator belt it was so short that it barely fit over the pulley. In your post you stated that at 560 hours you had to replace the electric fuel pump. After the problems that I incurred on my used Mudd-Ox the second day that I owned it , this left a HUGE question mark in my mind what could possibly happen next. My friends and I ride at an atv park with several large swamps ,and most of the places that we choose to take our machines are very remote. You can pull a dead argo with a Max IV ,and you can pull a dead Max II or Max IV with an Argo 6x6 or 8x8 back to camp, but you can't pull a dead and heavy Mudd-Ox with either an Argo 8x8 or a Max IV with out smoking the belts on either machine.Even if you disconnect the chains on the Mudd-Ox, or by pass the hydrolics. This leaves a 4x4 truck , jeep or tractor. The atv park that we ride at has all three of these vehicles, but where we choose to ride at , neither the tractor , 4x4 truck , or jeep would be of any help to us. Because I could rarely get Matt on the phone, and none of the Mudd-Ox dealers in the US could answer any mechancal questions that I wanted answered, I always had to call the Mudd-Ox dealer in Alaska. This was another frustration that I had when I owned a Mudd-Ox. From what has been posted recently about Matt ,he has now hired some additional staff at his shop and some one to answer calls too. This did not help me in 2010 though with my Mudd-Ox problems. When you are 125 miles from home ,and some thing mechanical happens to your Mudd-Ox ,and you know so little about it, or any one else that you ask, taking your Mudd-Ox very far from home leaves a huge doubt in your mind that hangs there like a dark cloud. I always worried about a mechanical break down in some remote area of the atv park and no one to help me tow my stranded Mudd-Ox back to camp. From trying to work on my Mudd-Ox I found out that you need the flexability of gumby to be able to change the hydrolic hoses or grease the inner bearing on the second axle. Wildtexasranger had to change out the second axles on both sides and also change the inner and out axle bearings too, and he was so frustrated after working on the Mudd-Ox at his shop, he told me that he'd never work on another Mudd-Ox again! The video's that I see of Mudd-Ox's are always out in open feilds, open areas, or Haspin acreas, which are very accessable if you ever had a break down on a Mudd-Ox. Not being able to call a Mudd-Ox dealer on the phone for parts when I needed them, plus having to remove my tracks each time I had to make chain adjustments really soured me from owing one.
    When I had Argo I couldn't get parts with out driving 100 miles. A rim from Argo is 95.00 and a rim from Mudd-Ox is 50.00.
    Just cause you lost money on your Mudd-Ox is your fault. No one told you to trade it in, everyone knows you don't trade anything in you sell it. When was the last time you and Noel where at Haspin, if you never been there don't say we don't have the same challenges. We have swamps holes that have no bottom in them. Didn't you have a over heating problem with your new Argo that you had to run with the hood off. Didn't you put a new muffler on to try and fix the over heating? I have never had to take my tracks off to make a chain adjustments, I just jack it up and get the tracks off the ground.

Mudslinger I had a Argo it was ok but Argos are not true 6x6 or 8x8 not like a Mudd-Ox or a Max. I would like to get a Max someday just cause their neat. If the Mudd-Ox is so bad like Mudbug says how come you don't see a lot of used Mudd-Oxs for sale? I love mine, but at the end of the day get what you want. Hope this helps.
    2011 MUDD OX KUBOTA TURBO DIESEL

Keith

If I were in the market for a heavy duty 8x8, then I'd choose the Argo Titan. Better designed than the Mudd-Ox, automatic chain tensioners, and much more accessable to work on. Argo could have built a hydrolic 8x8 like the Hydratrek or the Mudd-Ox, but they chose to build a less complicated , lighter weight, and easier to service Argo Titan. The Titan uses the same heavy duty Admiral transmission that has been used for years in the Argo Centaur.

Cougar

Yes I have over heating problems with my 2011 Argo Frontier ,and I also changed out the 2011 VERY restrictive muffler for a less restrictive 2008 muffler. I,m still trying to resolve my over heating issues , because the cool air intake runner I built and the 2008 mufflerI installed still have'nt resolved my heat issues.My 2011 Argo Frontier needs vented hood scoop like the Argo 750 HDI. I also had the same over heating issues with the Mudd-Ox when I owned in too ,when I drove it with Adair tracks on it through thick mud for an hour or more. If I cut the motor off after running in thick mud for an hour, my Mudd-Ox would either fail to start right up, or fail to climb the hill that my friend in his 2008 Argo 6x6 had just climbed. I then had to let the motor cool down for a half hour,take the engine cover off, and then reattempt the hill climb again. I tried the same hill climb after removing the engine cover and waiting 30 minutes, and the Mudd-Ox still would'nt make it over the top of the hill that my friends argo 6x6 had just climbed 30 minutes ago. The new admiral ' steering' transmission steers in thick mud so much easier than the HEAVY Mudd-Ox that I used to own. It's like driving an Argo that has power steering when you thread it through the wooded trails compared to the hydrolicly steered Mudd-Ox that I used to own. As far as loosing money when I sold my Mudd-Ox , it does'nt help things when a person I knew who was trying to sell his 2009 Mudd-Ox that he payed Matt $21,999 for, for a price of $17,500 ,and then Matt has a 2009 Mudd-Ox listed for sale for $15,500. Matt was killing the resale value of his own machines! Try selling your Mudd-Ox and see how much of a financial loss that you take on it when compared an argo HDI that was bought for the same price. An Argo HDI in 4 years will have a WHOLE LOT BETTER RESALE VALUE than a Mudd-Ox that's 4 years old!
    Last edited by mudbug3; 12-05-2012 at 05:00 PM.

I'm trying to be objective and positive, really. No current owners speaking up...Well just how many previous owners have spoken up? Who's opinions or experience holds more merit? Those who solved the problems and made the machines better or those who were legitimately unhappy and gave up. I think both groups can help those who are considering machines. And really what matters most is the "current" status of things. I could care less if anyone wants to badmouth an old chevy diesel as the duramax is now the current offering. I am bothered by the same old same old bashing of the mudd-ox and would actually like to "help" people. Your old machine isn't the only one out there.
    How do you determine a value on these machines? I would be willing to bet there are more argos and other AATV's actually getting used in Alaska than anywhere else. (not that it matters) I know without a doubt that a machine is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it's capability... and that they consider other comparable machines. In all honesty, I have seen alot of them, and from what I can tell, mudd-ox's do not fetch a lower price that argos up here. The opposite is actually true. I also agree as stated earlier that an upper-end machine has a much smaller market as there are fewer people who are willing to plunk down over lets say $15,000 for a used 8x8. It just doesn't make sense to most of us. If you buy a new AATV and decide to sell it, you are going to take a huge hit, including all the argos I see up here. As far as maintenance goes, a mudd-ox is very similar to an argo, definitely not worse. Trouble-shooting/tuning the engines are no different. If your climate requires setting up your air-cooled engine to perform better, so be it. If anything, that's a knock against air-cooled engines, not the Mudd-Ox. Regardless, it's easy to make the engine perform better. There is nothing difficult about that. I think the durability of the drivetrain and axle supports to run tracks is an advantage of the mudd-ox as tracks change everything. The durability of the hydraulics are undeniable. A responsible person always carries extra fuses/relays your machine needs as well as extra belts + needed oils as a minimum and a few tools you might just need. Breakdown is always a possibility with anything (or is it just the mudd-ox?) Most of us use our machines much more remotely than you might realize and we don't "worry" anymore than necessary. Learn your machine and be prepared to solve problems as they come up. None of the machines are Honda 4wheelers that can get abused forever. If you're not that type of guy, don't bother. With all due respect, a "few", and I do mean a select few on this forum seem to give give praise one moment (numerous on-line videos and forum threads), then turn right around and dirt-shoot the same machine when they have a chance to look good. Maybe I shouldn't care, but unfortunately some people only know what they have researched online, and I don't want them to be lead astray. Could some of the older mudd-ox's use some tweaking? Sure, but they have far more potential than the competition out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I'm trying to be objective and positive, really. No current owners speaking up...Well just how many previous owners have spoken up? Who's opinions or experience holds more merit? Those who solved the problems and made the machines better or those who were legitimately unhappy and gave up. I think both groups can help those who are considering machines. And really what matters most is the "current" status of things. I could care less if anyone wants to badmouth an old chevy diesel as the duramax is now the current offering. I am bothered by the same old same old bashing of the mudd-ox and would actually like to "help" people. Your old machine isn't the only one out there.
    How do you determine a value on these machines? I would be willing to bet there are more argos and other AATV's actually getting used in Alaska than anywhere else. (not that it matters) I know without a doubt that a machine is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it's capability... and that they consider other comparable machines. In all honesty, I have seen alot of them, and from what I can tell, mudd-ox's do not fetch a lower price that argos up here. The opposite is actually true. I also agree as stated earlier that an upper-end machine has a much smaller market as there are fewer people who are willing to plunk down over lets say $15,000 for a used 8x8. It just doesn't make sense to most of us. If you buy a new AATV and decide to sell it, you are going to take a huge hit, including all the argos I see up here. As far as maintenance goes, a mudd-ox is very similar to an argo, definitely not worse. Trouble-shooting/tuning the engines are no different. If your climate requires setting up your air-cooled engine to perform better, so be it. If anything, that's a knock against air-cooled engines, not the Mudd-Ox. Regardless, it's easy to make the engine perform better. There is nothing difficult about that. I think the durability of the drivetrain and axle supports to run tracks is an advantage of the mudd-ox as tracks change everything. The durability of the hydraulics are undeniable. A responsible person always carries extra fuses/relays your machine needs as well as extra belts + needed oils as a minimum and a few tools you might just need. Breakdown is always a possibility with anything (or is it just the mudd-ox?) Most of us use our machines much more remotely than you might realize and we don't "worry" anymore than necessary. Learn your machine and be prepared to solve problems as they come up. None of the machines are Honda 4wheelers that can get abused forever. If you're not that type of guy, don't bother. With all due respect, a "few", and I do mean a select few on this forum seem to give give praise one moment (numerous on-line videos and forum threads), then turn right around and dirt-shoot the same machine when they have a chance to look good. Maybe I shouldn't care, but unfortunately some people only know what they have researched online, and I don't want them to be lead astray. Could some of the older mudd-ox's use some tweaking? Sure, but they have far more potential than the competition out there.
    I could not of said it better.
    2011 MUDD OX KUBOTA TURBO DIESEL

Interesting read. I've always considered a mud-ox but have one question that could make or break my decision. How do they float? Not nec. swim as I use an outboard for the large bodies we need to traverse but how is their stability in the water? Especially when loaded...

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Well said.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by rentalrider View Post
    Interesting read. I've always considered a mud-ox but have one question that could make or break my decision. How do they float? Not nec. swim as I use an outboard for the large bodies we need to traverse but how is their stability in the water? Especially when loaded...
    Fortunately, you live close enough for a day trip to Shipshewana IN. Matt has a pond, and some trails behind his shop...perfect for test drives.
    It's worth the trip just to check out the old/rare machine collection.

[QUOTE=Buzz;132582] A responsible person always carries extra fuses/relays your machine needs as well as extra belts + needed oils as a minimum and a few tools you might just need. Breakdown is always a possibility with anything (or is it just the mudd-ox?) Most of us use our machines much more remotely than you might realize and we don't "worry" anymore than necessary. Learn your machine and be prepared to solve problems as they come up.

When I first received Mudd-Ox I knew very little about it other than the things that I'd read on the web about this machine. Matt talked to me on the phone the day that I got my Mudd-Ox, but never told me ' make sure to carry extra fuses and a spare altenator belt in case it breaks. ' All I was told was to ' enjoy your Mudd-Ox and be safe ' and that was it. Because the Mudd-Ox is still going through so many changes there ' still is'nt an owners manual to read'. If you dont know any thing about the machine that you buy and the person that you buy it from does,nt tell you what to be prepared for,and you don't have an owners manuel to read, problems can happen that you are unprepared for.

+ Reply to Thread