Mudd-Ox satisfaction

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mudd-Ox satisfaction

Quote Originally Posted by eddieb1965 View Post
    Quite a difference(structure wise and weight) in the Argo ROPS and the folding rollbar on the OX.
    What do they each weigh? Tube sizes, and wall thickness? Material composition, mild steel? chromoly? titanium???

Looks like Mudd-Oxx Folding Rollbar 84.0 lbs and the Argo ROPS 140 lbs.

Cool, Where did you find specs? I would have guessed they both weighed more than that. 84 Lbs is only the weight of a child, and 140 Lbs is a female passenger. I know I've had a maxII in the water with 2 large males (approaching 500 Lbs combined) and it was a little scary in the turns. Straight with no rocking was OK.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    I know I've had a maxII in the water with 2 large males (approaching 500 Lbs combined) and it was a little scary in the turns. Straight with no rocking was OK.
    lol...thats funny Jim...ive had 4 "grown-up" (sort of) men in a 6x6 argo bigfoot out on the pond before and it wasnt pretty either...all i can say is bring a swimsuit :-) fun to see how accurate the argo 350 lbs water rating really is...lol

I have been trying to catch up on all the conversation in this thread.....in all fairness there has not been many people who have done more to promote the Mudd-Ox machine or our sport than Muddbug3 (along with Mightymax, RD, Noel, FoxValley, MattO, Obsessed, etc)...Dave has probably posted some of the most entertaining and impressive video currently available on the Mudd-Ox and if you happen to get to watch any of his videos its hard not to want one for yourself...not many people have been able to capture how impressive and capable these machines are any better than Dave...i cant think of a single video that Dave has posted that shows a Mudd-Ox machine stuck or broke down...and i honestly get calls and emails every day from people who just discovered our sport by running accross one of these guys videos...(then we send them to 6x6world to join up and learn more and its pretty much a done deal from there...lol)

i agree that the conversations reguarding our sport needs to be kept as positive as possible and we all realize that we are a pretty small group of friends and we dont need any help reducing our customer base...I see it from both sides, but I dont necessarly get from this conversation that he is just "bashing" the brand, but instead simply responding honestly to a persons question and giving his own personal experiance...most people will agree (including Dave) that the OX is truely an awesome machine for the right type of consumer and that it is simply amazing that Matt has preservered long enough to end up with a good product that works great for some people...but i think that Dave is wise enough to know by now how important it is to make sure that the right type of person gets a very specific productlike this...no different than the big decision to buy a 6x6 or an 8x8, tracks or no tracks, pickup truck or car...you cant just say "buy it and you'll love it" about anything with a clear conscience.... put the wrong type of AATV in the hands of a person with a specific need or expectation, and you'll just damage our sport by creating a very dissapointed and unhappy customer...there is not a mfg out there that wants a single customer that is unhappy with their product, Matt included

i personally believe that people come to this site to get honest info that they can trust so that they can make educated decisions for themselves and hopefully get excited about AATV's (all brands and options) in the process which is what most of us really wish to see...help put the right type of guy or girl into a machine thats a really good fit for them and watch how quickly they become another addict to our sport

just my opinion, Tim

Tim, I agree with you in regards to promoting the sport and giving honest information. In fact, I usually only post when I see that "biased" or incomplete information is given out. I'm not Mr. Negative, but if I see something that I don't agree with, it's only fair to make a comment. A person needs to consider many factors, yet I see unwarranted stabs frequently. It is what it is, and I have absolutely no vested stake in any of this.....other than I enjoy the sport, enjoy helping people, and am easily bugged when mis-information is given. Malicious posts are hard to sugar-coat.

I would ask someone: what is your intended use for the machine? ...and go from there. Just because it wasn't the right machine for me, I wouldn't start out by saying "read everything about the mudd-ox on here" wink...wink....before you think about buying one. Then follow up and say without justification that your new machine is easier to work on and would be more fun to have, better dealer network etc. etc. Um, It's just bad advice. Not everyone drinks the Kool-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I would ask someone: what is your intended use for the machine? ...and go from there. Just because it wasn't the right machine for me, I wouldn't start out by saying "read everything about the mudd-ox on here" wink...wink....before you think about buying one. Then follow up and say without justification that your new machine is easier to work on and would be more fun to have, better dealer network etc. etc. Um, It's just bad advice. Not everyone drinks the Kool-Aid.

Since this is a reference to my post I will clarify this. I owned 2004 Max IV with a 25 hp in it before I bought the 2010 Mudd-Ox. Tim Schaffer that is an Argo dealer delivered a 2010 Mudd-Ox demo to me at river run atv park one weekend.We all had a group ride planned for that weekend. I got the chance to ride with Tim all day in the Mudd-Ox that I was thinking about buying ,and I let Tim show me all of the things that the Mudd-Ox could do. I was impressed enough with the Mudd-Ox that weekend to buy it. I also drove my friends new argo frontier with the new admiral steering transmission in it. Huge improvement! I was really impressed with it too after driving an argo 6x6 at the atv park that we were at that had the older style open differential. This Argo 6x6 changed directions by skid steering. What a BIG difference! Tim also brought a 1999 argo 6x6 that had the older style open transmission in it, but it had the 3.3 low gear ratio transmission. I really liked the extra grunt that the 3.3 ratio transmission gives you when driving through thick mud with tracks! I really loved the extra low end. I got the chance to drive different machines and then compare each one that I drove to the Mudd-Ox that I was thinking about buying. Each machine had it's pros and cons. It has been stated on this forum that there is no perfect amphib offered for sale that will suit every buyer. This is a true statement. For it's ' intended use' the Mudd-Ox is a great machine and in some situations it performs better and some situations a lighter 6x6 performs better. From lifting the hood on my friend's 2011 argo frontier, it was more like the Max IV that I was used to working on. The Mudd-Ox I was planning to buy had lots of hydrolic hoses, lots of wires going different directions, and this made me feel a little uneasy, because I lean more towards simple and easy to work on when I'm riding off road. But, after experiencing all of the many things that the Mudd-Ox could do first hand,I decided to buy the Mudd-Ox. In the past Matt was so busy trying to grow his business that he rarely took any calls at his shop, and those calls were mostly from Mudd-Ox dealers. I have read recently that this now has changed. Matt in the past made promises to do things in a time frame that he could'nt do, probably because he was extremely busy, and this made a lot of forum members really upset with him.Some forum members could'nt get Matt to take their phone calls about their Mudd-Ox's that they had bought from him, and then had to resort to airing their dirty laundry on this forum. If you read the forum topic ' David's 2010 Mudd-Ox ' you can read some of these negative post. This was the forum topic that I was referring to. I have read that Matt has recently hired some additional staff , some one to answer the phone calls, and has also changed some of his past mistakes in business about dealing with his customers. I agree that you should first call a Mudd-Ox dealer, because calling the head of the company that builds them will probably be a waste of time. Because I bought my Mudd-Ox demo from Matt , he was the first person that I called with any mechancial or electrical issues ,because he knew more about the machine that he built than all of the Mudd-Ox dealers in the US. The Mudd-Ox dealers that I called in the US only sold them ,and had'nt had one Mudd-Ox in for repair work. Because each Mudd-Ox dealer sold so few of them, they could'nt answer any of my electrical or mechanical questions about the Mudd-Ox that I bought from Matt. Granted any thing mechanical that you buy can have mechanical issues.That's a fact! Matt has put more effort into making the Mudd-Ox a better machines with each one that he builds ,more than both Argo or Recreatives who sell the Max. Matt's target market is selling machines to the oil fields of Alaska , Canada, and in Europe.He is now doing very well I have read, and in this bad economy this is outstanding!
    Last edited by mudbug3; 12-05-2012 at 05:37 PM.

okay, fair enough. Currently, I think it is accurate to say that I see constant improvements and that it may be just the right machine for some people. On the other hand, a smaller rig may be better suited for others. Improperly set up, either one is not going to perform to your expectations. Thank you for the information and the willingness to respond.

Buzz

Have you wrote post about the Mudd-Ox on the outdoorsdirect forum? I know the Mudd-Ox dealer in Alaska has.

yes same username. Most everyone there is very helpful on a wide variety of topics. There are a few antagonists, but welcome to the world of online forums.

+ Reply to Thread