kohler m18 18 hp engine chirping

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: kohler m18 18 hp engine chirping

kohler m18 18 hp engine chirping

I know this is not the forum for this but i know this motor was used in some six wheelers the engine is on a cub cadet i bought it for 225 the engine will make a chirping sound when u rev up from idle but goes away i really cant feel a miss or anything could it be a leaking head gasket that what i keep reading on the internet what i can find on this motor its firing on both cylinders but since coil is used for both sides if i pull the left if sittin on tractor plug cap it dies but does same if i pull off right so i cant tell if its firing right or not also the govner doesnt move that much is it suppise to move a good bit or not when throttled up u cant see it move at all but motor does increase in speed im not much for these type of engines such the simplest thing can set one off running from good to bad at the flip of a switch

you can download the service manual from the kohler website for the m18 it has a trouble shooting section. A chirping sound is very vague problem. Is it loosing power? the governor doesn't move that much, it adjusts the fuel intake when the motor goes under a load. do the sparkplugs look good? Have you've given it a tuneup lately?(new sparkplugs, aircleaner, fuel filter, oil change, fresh gas).
    Last edited by newargoowner; 11-22-2012 at 07:00 PM.

No power loss even moving with deck on it makes the chirping noise when u rev it up till it reaches the point u want then goes away i have read a leaking head gasket will do this its not that a gasket is that much just dont want to tear something down that needs not be

my nerves get very thin trying to work on these engines u have it or u dont

If its running good then you can't fix which is not broke. is the chirping coming from any certain part of the motor? if your not loosing power and it is running good, maybe the noise is coming from the stator(charging system)?

+ Reply to Thread