6 chain VS 4 chain Attex models

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 6 chain VS 4 chain Attex models

First off , Don, I'm so relieved that you change the material from this morning's post of 7170 to 4140. I spent a lot of time stumping some big steel companies today asking about 7170. I thought it was some new chryptonite material. With that much carbon in it, it probably would break if you dropped it on the ground. I knew it had to be a typo. Funny how this thread went from 6 chains vs 4 chains to axles. I know most everyone knows this, but it might be helpful to those that don't know about a body bound bolt. One of the reasons most people shear a bolt or break an axle where the bolt goes thru the sprocket tube is because the hole is drilled too big and no matter how tight you get that bolt, eventually the tube will rock back and forth and shear the bolt or break the axle, whichever comes first. A good remedy for that is to get a longer bolt with a longer shoulder. Make sure the shoulder of the bolt is long enough to go all the way thru the axle tube. You may have to shorten the threads on the bolt. (ex. the shoulder of a standard 3/8 bolt is
    .370 and the threads are even smaller. The hole should be drilled with a 23/64 drill (.3593) . Reem the hole thru the axle tube & axle at the same time with a .370 reemer. If you don't have one, you'll have to buy one. The hole has to be the same size as the bolt. That is known as a body bound bolt. Because everything is so tight, it won't rock back & forth and wallow out the hole. If the hole is right, you'll have to hammer the bolt thru because it's size on size. Of course if you're running 1" axles, you can't do a repair by going to a bigger bolt. It just weakens the axle more at the hole. If you have the room, 2 body bound bolts per axle is even better. It will also help with hollow axles. Use a jam nut so it won't loosen up. Everything I've said is null & void, if you hit trees, trailers & big rocks.
    While we're now on the subject of sprockets, just a reminder that if you're making your own sprocket tubes or buying them, make sure they're not farm sprockets. Get good flame hardened sprockets. Nothing ruins a chain faster than a soft sprocket that's lost it's form. That's all I gotta say about that.
    So what do you all think about O-Ring chain?
    Attached Images

Not so much a typo as having bad numbers in my head, but thanks, Whipper.

I found out through trial and error that buying bolts the right length with threads that continued past the axle tube was not a good idea. They almost always broke right at the end of the threads. I started buying overlength bolts and cutting them down, and that cured it. Same deal with the ag sprockets- you can get them dirt cheap, but you get what you pay for. I've found some weren't even concentric with the center drilling.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Hey guys, on my ST/295 frame (4 chain) I was missing an idler sprocket and I got one that fit that was off a 400 Chief frame and it had a couple more teeth than the 295 sprocket. I would think that its OK to use this, I just might need a slightly longer chain or have to adjust my tensioner to compensate for the extra two teeth or so on the idle sprocket on that side, but what would you guys think?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

It's OK to use it's just an Idler, it can be any size. Just add a link or two, I would make sure the teeth are flame hardend.

I just had to resurect this older post because I had a few questions about those 4140 axles for the Attex. About how much would each axle cost to be made? Also, would you guys recomend shortening each axle about 1/2" to 1" to bring the wheels closer to the frame/body and take some stress off the axles?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    would you guys recomend shortening each axle about 1/2" to 1" to bring the wheels closer to the frame/body and take some stress off the axles?

I was thinking of doing the same thing Jeff. I don't see how it could hurt. I would imagine the gain in strength would out weigh the loss in wheel base.
    Banned

Gerorge, did you ever try the 4140 axles or speak to anyone that has? If they're not that much more than the standard cold rolled axles I would go for them in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Gerorge, did you ever try the 4140 axles or speak to anyone that has? If they're not that much more than the standard cold rolled axles I would go for them in a second.
    I've only used the cold rolled. I've heard that one of our friends had some custom super axles made....guess I had a hand in that decision.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I was thinking of doing the same thing Jeff. I don't see how it could hurt. I would imagine the gain in strength would out weigh the loss in wheel base.
    Guys, Quite honestly, I don't think you'd want to move the tires in. First, by narrowing your wheel base, it would just make it easier to roll over, second, moving it one inch is not going to make it any stronger, because even if your tire hits something, it will still bend. You need an axle made out of better material for strength. 1018 cold roll & 1020 dom tubing is not the best material to use for an axle. Most people use it, including the manufacturers , because it's cheap. I'd hate to see you spend money to do what your talking about & then be disappointed. I would recommend using the 4140 pre-heat treated TGP (TURNED, GROUND & POLISHED) . The finish size of 1 1/4" TGP would be 1.249 -1.2495 & the bearings would slide on perfect. If your axles need to be splined, well, you know who can do that. I can't quote axles unless I know exactly what you need. Ex. diameter, splined, solid, location of holes, wheel hubs? Anyway, better material is the answer, not shortening the axles.
    Whipper

Whipper, have you seen any 1.25 axle material with a small hole through the axis? I was thinking about on the fly/driver adjustable tire air pressure.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

+ Reply to Thread