Another Lil Truck disaster, but I am back

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another Lil Truck disaster, but I am back

Pat, it looks like you've made quite a bit of progress..............nice work! I can't help you out with anything for the GT series transmission that you have, but I can help you with the bearings. Give the guys at Buffalo Bearings a call. They're great folks to deal with and they deal with many, many 6X6World members. Tell them you're from 6X6World and they'll take good care of you. Their number is (716) 874-1720. For outer bearings you'll need ones that are 52mm outside diameter and tell them they're the ones that fit into the two piece stamped steel bearing flanges and the inside diameter is 1" and they have a triple lip seal and for that you can let them know you need the ones with the code "R3". Hope this helps.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thank you for the info guys. I really appreciate it. Jeff, can I stuff 23's under this machine? Was just wondering because I don't have the exhaust to contend with.
    Famous last words: I swear honey... I am just going to change the tranny fluid. I won't tear this one apart...

Glad to help, Pat. And yes, 23's will fit. I've seen 23x10.50x12 garden tractor tires and wheels on an Attex. It probably rides very rough with those kind of tires on it though.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Nice to have you back, Pat. I'm not at all familiar with the GT transmission other than the terrible stories I've heard, but it would be good to see somebody make one actually work. It seems like ODG would have a leg up on the design of an amphib transmission so I've always wondered why it was (by reputation) so bad.

Anyway, nice machine- good luck with it!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

So last night a miracle happened in Levittown Long Island. I was working on my machine in the garage at about 11pm. After pulling my engine to get better access to the axle bolts my Lil truck came ALIVE!!! As i started trying to pull the axle bolts, It looked me straight in the face and growled "Now I am going to kick you in the balls!!!".........and then it did.
    Famous last words: I swear honey... I am just going to change the tranny fluid. I won't tear this one apart...

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I read it three times laughing.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

In the interests of explanation: Throughout the day, simple tasks were becoming exceedingly difficult as I was working on the machine. It started with the electric starter frying and getting red hot which burned my hand. Then I wanted to pull the chains, so I pulled the clip on the mater link, and of course, the link wouldnt budge. Then I went to the store, and bought a new key switch which matched the plug pattern, but subsequently wouldnt work. I recall saying to my machine "I can see you are going to be a pain in the balls today". I stepped away from the machine for a couple of hours to clear my head.
    Then later I removed the engine to get better access to the sprocket bolts so I could begin the painful process of trying to pull the axles. To get better leverage, I actually squatted in the engine bay with a breaker bar on 1 side of the bolt and a long 9/16th wrench on the nut. As I was pulling the breaker bar which is about 25.5 inches long toward myself (pulling hard), the top of the bolt rounded and the breaker bar slipped. The result was the breaker bar letting go and whacking me in my stones with the equivalent amount of force that I was pulling with. This further resulted in me falling back and whacking my head on the Lil truck bed frame. I saw stars, twice, and proceeded to weave a very creative tapestry of profanity. I then decided I had enough, realizing that I got exactly what I said I was going to get from my Lil truck earlier.

Just cut the bolt heads off with a wheel and them try and hammer them out of the sprockets and axles. If you can't get the bolt through and the axle off just get out the cutting wheel and then press the sprockets off after your axles are in pieces. Axles are cheap and easy to make so there is no sense in limiting your ability to have more kids just to save one.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Pat, A quick heads up for you that'll save you some money and headaches. Don't use a modern replacement ignition switch for the Tecumseh OH160 because you'll fry the ignition coil and they're not made anymore. They go for at least $150 and up on ebay. I'm not sure where to get a replacement ignition switch though. I'll have to do some research on that.

Thanks for the the info guys. Looks like I am going to have to cut the axles. Not my first rodeo with this task, but given the fact that info is so scarce on the granite state transmissions, or the set up, I was really nervous about cutting anything. 2 of the axles actually run right through separate transmission housings. I am starting to hate this setup, but as it stands right now I need 6 tires and rims, if it keeps going this way, 6 axles, at least 1 new wheel mounting flange, and all new bearings. That would be the way to do it right. I could probably get away with just fixing the 1 bent axle that I know about, but history dictates that the machine will crap the bed on me in the most inopportune time if I try to cut corners. This puppy was really neglected. T-20 is just way out of reach at this point.

+ Reply to Thread