Vanguard flywheel puller bolts diameter

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vanguard flywheel puller bolts diameter

In Michigan out annoying the neighbors in something that has a motor in it!

Vanguard flywheel puller bolts diameter

Any one know what size these are, I need to chase the damaged threads on this one.
    They look either M8-1.25 or 5/16"-18, but can't get either bolt started without major force.
    The trouble with retirement is.... I never get a day off !!!!

They are metric, but I don't know the size right off the top of my head.

To pull the flywheel from a briggs you don't need a puller. back the nut off till it is a little beyond flush with the end of the crank (nut sticks out farther than crank) and whack the nut with a hammer. the end of the crank is tapered and this will jar it loose. sounds terrible, but it is actually the procedure in the Briggs manual
    Last edited by racerone3; 12-01-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I will go out and give it a try, thanks.

When you hit the bolt with a hammer put a prybar between the motor and the flywheel and apply a littly pressure, Helps the flywheel pop off. Im a small engine mechanic, It works every time

With MUCH apprehension, I gave the backed-off flywheel retaining nut a sharp WHACK!
    It did free up the flywheel on it's tapered shaft, thanks.
    The puller holes on the back side were in great condition, they are M8-1.25.
    I ran a tap through them, just in case the WHACK doesn't work next time and I need to use them.
    I re-torqued the flywheel to 125lbs by holding the recoil starter cup with a chain wrench, strap wrench slipped when I was trying to loosen the nut.
    I'm guessing at the 125lbs torque, does anyone have a spec sheet with the torque specs, I just have the OPERATORS and PARTLIST for this engine, no REPAIR manual.
    BTW.. the flywheel retaining nut on my 1997 Vanguard 16hp is 30mm (30.01 actually)
    later

+ Reply to Thread