T20 Adjustment Questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: T20 Adjustment Questions

Thanks Don. That makes sense. I will pull it apart and post some pics since I am not sure I can tell what band goes out what hole in the case.. Stay tuned....

Ok Guys. I think I know what happened. I had the whole trani laid out in the order took it apart in. When I cleaned the cases, I mixed them up (cell phone rang and I got distracted). So I put it back together and when i went to put it in the max, the clutch was on the wrong side. The only way it would fit is with the clutch facing in. So I tore it apart, and just moved the centershafts - not the bands or drums.... I put it back together, trani fit in the frame, but the when you pulled this sticks back, it went forward... I think what I need to do is move the drums and bands from one case to the other - lift and move. Does this sound right? Here are some pics of what it looks like right now...

Those sure look right to me.

Go through a lot of salsa?
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by budzinsk View Post
    Ok Guys. I think I know what happened. I had the whole trani laid out in the order took it apart in. When I cleaned the cases, I mixed them up (cell phone rang and I got distracted). So I put it back together and when i went to put it in the max, the clutch was on the wrong side. The only way it would fit is with the clutch facing in. So I tore it apart, and just moved the centershafts - not the bands or drums.... I put it back together, trani fit in the frame, but the when you pulled this sticks back, it went forward... I think what I need to do is move the drums and bands from one case to the other - lift and move. Does this sound right?
    ??? I'm not understanding the clutch facing in part.????
    The drums are the same side-side. The bands only fit one way. Actually, if you look close at the case halves you will see they both come from the same mold. As long as the diamond shifters are up, and the secondary (input shaft) is on the correct side of the vehicle.....it has to be right

Hi Jim. You are correct, the casing are the same but the clutch needs to come out of the one side. The main reason is because if you try an flip the trani to fit in the frame, then the Diamond Shifters would be on the bottom..... I learned this the hard way... If you look at the snapshot below, it shows the difference between the 2 ports. I am pretty sure the port I have identified at Top is where the band for the top drum should go out... Right now, mine has the bottom drum band going out that port.... So what I need to do is flip the band 180 degrees and make them go out the right ports..... Does that sound right? I guess my clumsyness has me treading new water! And yes Don, we love our Salsa!! LOL.

That looks right to me as long as I'm understanding you correctly. With the case half sitting like you have it, one plunger hole will be a little lower than the other. The lower hole will be for the lower (outside) drum band.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I have had transmissions with the wrong bands installed in them. It can be done. Remove the bands and hold the plunger in your hand with the threaded end facing you. which ever way the rest of the band spirals is the side of the case it goes in with a left input front controll lever installition(MAX) Looked at pics again and it apears that the band in the right case half is wound for the left side good luck
    Last edited by msafi65; 12-07-2012 at 05:44 PM.

I don't know if I'm seeing the whole picture or not. Is the bottom band on and attached to the lower end of the anchor? If so, that one's right. The top band looks like it belongs in the other case half. Both bands each side of the transmission have to coil the same direction.

I've been watching this thread but waited to reply till I was sure. I have several T-20's torn down and went out to play with parts today and concluded that it can be put together wrong (I had heard tell of this, but never seen it). Where I have struggled to tell from your pictures is not knowing which way the shifter hole is facing.

At this point you need to tear it all back down and lay your parts back out. (don't pull seals or bearings) Many parts don't care which side they are on.... Drums, Planetary Gears/ plates, shift spools, plungers, clips and retainers, fiber washers...

I start with 2 clean towels on the work bench laid end to end. center plate between the two towels. then figure out which case is which. I point the plunger holes away from me and the shifter holes up as they would be when standing at the back of the machine looking forward. then lay out the input shaft and the output shaft for it (with hole, bearing....) on the left side, other one on the right..... pick 2 drums, 3 gears and plate for each side, and start divying up parts from there. Once all the parts are laid out other than the bands, I will start to assemble one side.

once it comes time to install bands, I stand the case half on end {so it's like a bowl} (end of output shaft face down on bench) again with the plunger holes away from me. find the band that will hook at the lowest point of the anchor pin and wind uphill to the lower of the 2 plunger holes. install the band seperator. then find the one that will wind uphill from the higher plunger hole to the top of the band anchor.

once this is done set it aside and repeat for the other side.

I did my first few T-20 rebuilds later in the evening when I was pretty sure I wouldn't get distracted. after doing a few it has gotten much easier.

Hope that is clear, if you need any pics or further info let me know.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback... I have rebuilt many manual car trani's but somehow I screwed this up... Uhhgg.... This is great advice. I am going to dig into it in the morning - i will report back.....

+ Reply to Thread