New Type of Tracks - Chanel Tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast

Thread: New Type of Tracks - Chanel Tracks

chanel track impression

Hi, I'm back on the site. My first winter is done with my chanel tracks. Worked really well for me. I'd like to know more about the ones that used them last winter. The goods, the bads and so on. Different type of snow I went a bit in powder, did ok. Went in deep slush, there is always a limit but in general amasing.
    So what did you thing about them in snow?
    Jack

Welcome back brebett . I used the track a lot this winter and found them to be a very good investment. I have put them through some pretty rough conditions and they stood up. Side hilling with them is amazing and in some situations I had to put all the weigh of the argo on the outer edges of them and turn. I found they did not want to try to twist and come off at all, They stayed nice and flat on the tire.
    The only thing I did to them, is to add some paddles to help out in the power snow. The crossers did not ice up going from a wet snow to cold dry snow. [IMG][/IMG]
    [[/url][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

One other thing, sorry The photo did come through the first time, Is I put in a hinge just to help things run a little smother. [IMG][/IMG]

Nice thing with the added paddles. I was thinking doing similar but with an added 4" of surveyer track on the outside. Your way you have some on inside and outside, looks less work than an added 4" strap. Hope to see more comments.
    On easter weekend we went for a ride my brother, sister and me. One big sled, one tracked 4 wheeler and my avenger with chanel tracks. My brother followed my tracks but one time it sunk at same place I was floating. We had a hard time getting that 4 wheel out of the hole.
    Jack

How did you install the hinges? Do you have clear pict and what material you used
    Jack

Looks good, Was just curious as to why adding hinges would be beneficial? Does the overlapping add strain because of it's dual thickness or is it just a easier method of installing the tracks?
    Thanks
    Dean

Both are right. if you take two pieces of belting and bolt them together they become very stiff. Now you try rotating that around the tire.every 10 sec or so. It also is a lot easier to install. It all just helps make thing run a little smother. They are very easy to install.[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

I've never seemed to have much trouble with an overlap joint running smooth, and arguably it is much stronger, but it is a pain in the butt (big time) in my opinion to take take the tracks on/off with an overlap joint. I agree with OT in that belting doubled up is pretty stiff!
    The main benefit of a hinge is the easy installation and removal of the tracks. The weakest part of the track is the hinge, so it is important that the hinge body (where the bolts secure it to the belt) sits back from the belt edge...a fair ways....you wouldn't want to risk tearing the hinge out. Conveyor belting is very strong stuff, and I think the risk of tearing is very low unless the holes are very close to the edge.
    Flexco 550's are good because not only does the hinge-body hole sit back far from the belt edge, the hinges themselves have prongs that "bite" the belting when the hinges are crimped down. And, the hinge-body holes, bolt-heads, and nuts are tapered so that when tightened down...the hinge body cannot move or become sloppy in any way. The prongs are extra insurance in the event your piloted nuts/bolts ever found a way to get loose and fall off. Some red loc-tite never hurts.

A flexco 550 hinge set up when butted up tight between (2) crossers, makes those crossers 5" on center. I like to leave 1.5" of belting beyond the (2) crossers where you plan to place the hinge. This 1.5" gives you a very healthy amount of belting to secure the hinges. Just take those measurements into consideration when you decide where to place your hinge.
    Last edited by Buzz; 05-26-2014 at 11:12 PM.

I put the same hinge on my chanel tracks bigfoot, works good.

Quote Originally Posted by brebett View Post
    Nice thing with the added paddles. I was thinking doing similar but with an added 4" of surveyer track on the outside. Your way you have some on inside and outside, looks less work than an added 4" strap. Hope to see more comments.
    On easter weekend we went for a ride my brother, sister and me. One big sled, one tracked 4 wheeler and my avenger with chanel tracks. My brother followed my tracks but one time it sunk at same place I was floating. We had a hard time getting that 4 wheel out of the hole.
    This is what I did on easter weekend brebett http://youtu.be/v885PubARp0

+ Reply to Thread