New Type of Tracks - Chanel Tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: New Type of Tracks - Chanel Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by kghills View Post
    Every time I look at the videos the tracks remind me of the ones used on the old Nodwell 110 machines. Crested metal grousers with rubber belting. Just looks to use a wider tire and narrower belting.

Keith.
    uh, I wouldn't call this video a comparison in what to expect from a shaped metal track....not that the intention was to let on that a track "similar" in shape to a nodwell track might fall off. Who knows what the track tension was in those rutty conditions. Not to mention the much shallow radius in the crosser being used by a super super heavy machine. Two entirely different tires (in size, tread, and ply) will not perform the same and are not equally-reliable. Even though they're all made out of rubber.... I personally think it would be very difficult to walk out of patenteaux's or escargos tracks if the tension was right. The radiused "guide" if you will, does not flex in relation to the riding surface which only helps as compared to some other tracks. It is fun to see pics of tracks falling off though....if anyone has any. Here's a pic of some poly escargo shaped crossers....
    Attached Images

Another advantage of this type of track is less clearance is required from the top of the tire to the tub.
    And I dont think axle extensions are required.
    Great design.

I just read his add...heres the translation.
    "New rubber tracks brand-Channel Metal Track width of 18 to 22 inches, can track 18 inches wide without Axle Extension, available for all kinds of tire"
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 01-12-2013 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Added translation

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    uh, I wouldn't call this video a comparison in what to expect from a shaped metal track....not that the intention was to let on that a track "similar" in shape to a nodwell track might fall off. Who knows what the track tension was in those rutty conditions. Not to mention the much shallow radius in the crosser being used by a super super heavy machine. Two entirely different tires (in size, tread, and ply) will not perform the same and are not equally-reliable. Even though they're all made out of rubber.... I personally think it would be very difficult to walk out of patenteaux's or escargos tracks if the tension was right. The radiused "guide" if you will, does not flex in relation to the riding surface which only helps as compared to some other tracks. It is fun to see pics of tracks falling off though...
    The video of the thrown Nodwell track shows how the tires ride inside the crested grouser. I don't think they had floatation tires in the 50s but it is cool when people rediscover designes that are 60 years old and apply them to applications today. Maybe next suspesion?

Keith.

I don't think it was ever Keith,s intention to dis the design after all Nod,s used it forever,I have seen vids of Argo rubber tracks derail,heck excavators,tanks you name it,everything that moves by mechanical means on this planet is susceptible to a issue if not properly maintained to a spec,Iam very careful with my tracks at 18 inches wide you get in a rut look over the side and the plastic track guides are mashing the sidewall bad,I try my best to keep things as flat as possible by trying to cross super uneven sections at ninety degrees or move over to flatter ground,Iam actually quite surprised at the amount of abuse my sidewalls take but I do use a set of dedicated tires to the tracks.All this said its snow that Iam into and the greater the amount the easier on the tracks,and as seen with the Adair system the all purpose track they use are not super wide,but their new snow track is its all about leverage on the wide track that can cause derail issues,snow is forgiving tough ruts are not,the narrow Chaneltrack will do snow but not as well as a wider set so I guess what Iam saying buy tracks for your condition you intend to use them in the most,the super wide Adair is built for snow to use them in mud would be overkill and not what the track was designed for with the way their standard track works in swamps you need nothing more.I see advantages to the no guide design of the Chaneltrack for my application.Cheers NCT

Quote Originally Posted by kghills View Post
    Sure looks like he is running a lot of tire pressure in the video. The tires don't seem to give at all on any of the trees or ruts. Maybe they need to be over inflated with the tracks having no real track guides.

Keith.
    Keith to answer this that Avenger is using the factory tires same set as was on mine they were hard as rocks even with 3 PSI in them,they had a wide tread design and worked well but on my machine were the first thing to go,I went with a much better riding 24 inch Frontier tire they are much more flexible.NCT

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough
    The Adair system the all purpose track they use are not super wide,but their new snow track is its all about leverage on the wide track that can cause derail issues,snow is forgiving tough ruts are not,the narrow Chaneltrack will do snow but not as well as a wider set so I guess what Iam saying buy tracks for your condition you intend to use them in the most,the super wide Adair is built for snow to use them in mud would be overkill and not what the track was designed for with the way their standard track works in swamps you need nothing more.I see advantages to the no guide design of the Chaneltrack for my application.Cheers NCT

The Adair tracks that fit over dual tires has a grouser that extends in between the two tires to help prevent track derailment. This track was originally designed for search and rescue missions on the ice. The wider Adair tracks ,fitting over dual tires ,would serve as a stable platform to pull people up out of the water.The Adair ' Fat tracks ' could be used for different conditions though.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 01-13-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks for the info MB them Fat Cats are wild looking tracks and would never be stopped in snow.Cheers NCT

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    Keith to answer this that Avenger is using the factory tires same set as was on mine they were hard as rocks even with 3 PSI in them,they had a wide tread design and worked well but on my machine were the first thing to go,I went with a much better riding 24 inch Frontier tire they are much more flexible.NCT
    That makes perfect sense and explains why the ride looked a little rough. Best to keep the tire pressure up to hold any tracks.

Keith.

Well guys I'm in New Brunswick, Canada and I just made an agreement with Marcel and should have these installed in about two weeks. I will post my first hand experience as soon as possible. FYI 2004 conquest 8x8, 17 inchers, no spacers

cant wait for your review.

+ Reply to Thread