New Type of Tracks - Chanel Tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: New Type of Tracks - Chanel Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    Roger S had a set of those Carlisle Strykers mounted on his Argo and they do swim but slowly, I have also heard that if you cut the nobbies off they swim better, I can't confirm this, but I have seen Roger S Argo in the swamp and can confirm those tires do swim a little. Other forum members have said they can be modified to swim better.

If you never saw Roger S drive, he was something, he would open his throttle, get in the back seat and rock that Argo through places no on else would go, he would blast over trees, and climb hills that scared the hell out of me. Never saw anyone who could pilot and machine like Roger S. He passed away from cancer two months after I watched his amazing skill in person. He never mentioned he was sick and was right there to help anyone who had a problem.

Go to the 2:20 minute marker of this video and you will see a small example of the way Roger S drove.

Now there's a bloke that enjoyed life to the full.

chanel track upgrade

I talked to patenteux and he said that he upgrade his chanel track. The crossers are now 1 1/2 inches instead of 1 inche. They float more and are stronger. the rubber belts are 4 inches. Can't wait to get a chance to buy a set.
    Jack

Thanks for the update Jack,post a vid when you can.NCT

Here's a pic of the updated tracks! May have to sell mine and upgrade to these. Patenteux, makes a good product, over 20 hours on mine and only bent two crossers...trust me i tried really hard to bend them all...lol
    http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...ps99e3c6b5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tune View Post
    Here's a pic of the updated tracks! May have to sell mine and upgrade to these. Patenteux, makes a good product, over 20 hours on mine and only bent two crossers...trust me i tried really hard to bend them all...lol
    http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...ps99e3c6b5.jpg
    Hi Tune...I've watched your videos and there is no doubt you have given them a very good workout ...lol...from what I've seen they must be pretty durable to hold up that well and still work good...pretty good testimony for any product, and "just" being able to damage them under sever use is probably the perfect blend of performance and durability for most guys .., its like anything, if you overbuild it to the point that it could never fail, then it will probably be too heavy, hard on other parts, and give up some good performance, but if you build it too light, then it might fly, but maybe not for long...lol. Looks to me like a pretty good track option...looking forward to more of your videos :-)

tim

I have seen the new style crosser that is being used,looks pretty beefy it should provide a added measure of strength for the heavier 8 wheelers,Iam not sure whether it would be necessary for the lighter six by,s the eight wheelers tend to be the pickup trucks of AATV,S and usually load heavy,I stiil believe that Marcel is on the right track no pun intended,my one question that remains would the steel crossers tend to have less drive train windup then the Argo rubber track, would the tire slip easier on wet steel,anyones opinion I would like to hear.NCT

Here are my new channel tracks. They look like they will do the job I need them for. I know they will be a 100% improvement over the plastic tracks I have been running.
    My track tuners are on the way.
    Now with steel crossers you may not need them But I like the idea of been able to run a higher air pressure in the mid tires to improve the turning ability of the argo. With the track tuners you can now do that with drive train windup.
    It,s to bad that winter is over here and the flowers are out. Because I would love to give them a good work out in the mountains. OH well there is all ways next winter and I will be ready for it this time.
    i think Marcel has come up with a very good open track idea that should work quite well.

[/IMG]

the difference in wheel speed is more significant with a channel track (escargo) design, but the tires are able to slip easier in all conditions. In some conditions, a rubber track also allows for slipping fairly easily, but in other conditions the vehicle weight + rubber on rubber is very sticky. Remember the front/rear tires have all of the track/crosser wrap and most of the friction. The center tires have virtually no "friction" above the tire as there is no real track weight on the tires, and the crossers can move in relation to one another at the tire-tread location. Below the tire, there is a gaps or "transition" spaces between crossers allow for the tire to slip as the tire leaves a crosser and "before" it fully weights-down the next crosser. Not to mention they are helping to drive the track. Crosser spacing and inside shape-profile comes into play and can also help. But, the slipping that is required happens....no-problem-at-all.
    Remember also that there are plenty of times when not all wheels are on the ground (like when driving over obstacles). Slipping happens even easier a lot of the time. Now, anytime you eliminate driving load you increase your gas mileage. Track tuners do this but aren't really necessary. (rubber tracks they absolutely are). I personally believe that your gas mileage would improve even on tires if you eliminated two of the drive axles and reduced driving load on the chains. Except, you'd be stuck all the time with only the front/rear tires driving on "tires-only" mode. Not the case with tracks.
    Some driving load on the chains is completely normal.....the same thing happens when you're on just-tires driving up a hill...there is driving load and "vehicle-weight" load when you put power to the ground...on the chains that drive tires -with- traction of any kind.
    It's when the tires "can't" slip that there's a problem..because something has to give. With rubber tracks this can be a problem. With escargo/channel tracks and plain-old tires on the ground....it is not a problem. Tuners help your mileage, but the more I run them with my tracks, I am finding that they're not necessary for the reasons you mention. With rubber tracks though....absolutely....I wouldn't rub rubber tracks without them.

I do not what happened to the photo?? Lets try again.
    Running track tuners with tires only is a no brainer. If you eliminate your drive wheel you go no were.
    Yes you are right there is a lot of slippage between the tire and track with your mid tires. And your drive tires are the front and back. We will see how this works. If it eliminates some stress on the chains. then you're going in the right direction, It will all help[IMG][/IMG]

sweet blue. I have one set that's powdercoated black, seems to be holding up well. At least all the areas with welds and nooks/crannies. The tire contact-cleat area will always wear away, but protection everywhere else is good!

+ Reply to Thread