regulator wireing help!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: regulator wireing help!

regulator wireing help!

ok just bout this argo ..and while im fine on cars this is new ground for me so feel free to dumb things down.

battery isnt charging ..so i go to check the regulator its a 2006 response 18hp vangaurd
    model 350447 1282-E1

ok heres the question my regulator has 3 wires all into one single connector 2 yellow one red, it plugs into a connector where the 2 yellow go off under the motor to ..parts unknown, but the red continues to another plug that isnt plugged in ..and i cant see anything to plug into.

its near the soloniod,is there supposed to be a plug comming off the solonoid(battery side) to get the red wire back to the battery ..i assumed this was the 12v+ charge wire

the solonoid does look kinda cleaner than everything else im thinking maybe it was replaced and someone forgot to put the pigtail on there the plug into the regulator wire ..

thats my best guess im heading out to test some voltage numbers ..please anyone that has any idea if im on the right track let me know where to run this wire ..if thats the issue

Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia
    The 2 yellow wires go to the stator under the flywheel, and the red needs to go to the battery. If it isn't hooked up it won't charge.

Thats what i thought ..but on close inspection ..it looks like the "plug" i thought wasnt plugged in was actually a plug that a fuse would go into ..and a smaller wire goes on to the hot post by the starter ...problem was the "fuse" was burned completely out there was one small post left in it was able to identify after looking closer to be part of a fuse....so i took off the reg and "YIKES" its plug was burned once i unplugged it, it had melted inside ...and the plugs on the end of the wires going back up into the stator was charrred good too ... i tried testing the wires from the stater for any voltage but couldnt get any ..i tried the DC and the AC setting on my tester.
    Im guessing the stator/alternator is dead ?

now the question is how hard is that gonna be to swap out =/ are there any walkthroughs anywhere for this motor..i been looking but no luck yet.

thanks for the info

easy enough to swap. take off the side cover, remove the flywheel (back nut off and whack nut with hammer to knock flywheel loose), and replace the stator (4 bolts). depending on the engine and who put it together at the factory, the 2 yellow wires might be stuck behind the starter, and in that case you will also have to remove the starter to get them out (the connector won't fit through the space that the wires are in).

in a case like yours, I would replace the stator and regulator at the same time, and start over with all new parts
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

thanks tommorrow im gonna try testing the thing again the make sure its needing replaced then pull the trigger on getting this done

thanks again for the info

briggs makes a tester for the regulator, but I've yet to find a way to do it without their tester. Usually a good stator will show some AC voltage over the 2 yellow wires
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Its best to use an analog volt meter set to AC volts.
    Rev the engine and you should see AC volts on the two yellow wires.
    With an ohm meter you can check the resistance of the coils and compare it to the specs of a new one.
    Heres some info
    http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/mi...eplacement.pdf
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 12-15-2012 at 12:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread