Custom Steel Chassis Hustler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Custom Steel Chassis Hustler

Stonewall,

Correct. My design does add width but less than a CV setup. However a trailing arm using a similar bearing design could be done cheaply I think. I found some torsion stubs for #500 pounds per set which is a little stout. Moving to a shock or airbag setup might not be too difficult.
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

bottom tub.jpgStonewall,

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I may need moved.

I looked at the offset and it seems with my design the additional width is half a tire on each side. Less than that of a CV.
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Stonewall,

In looking at the design I believe I can tighten it even further by reducing the a-arm dim. I will try it as send an offset measurement. I went a little wider for stability.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    A trailing arm/chain box system would work well, especially since the chain box could be an oil bath.
    Trailing arms also give a better ride because they swing back slightly as you hit a bump, instead of just up.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Oil bath chain box, with coilovers on the inside of the tub. You could even run tracks over that kind of setup, since all the movement is up and back instead of up and out.

Shawngray,

You could also reduce some width simply by using a different wheel offset. A 5+2 offset would put the track a bit closer to the tub, but still not as close as a trailing arm system. Remember that the more you shorten the A-arm the less travel your suspension will have.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Right.

I have built a quick model to show the plastic mount with the current design. I would need about 10" of head space from the cl of the axle to the top of the bracket. I dont have that on my 950 so the question is does the 980 have the headroom?
    Attached Images

I do have an idea on the torsion. I have not yet modeled the carriage yet but I think there may be a solution to putting a torsion bar in advance of the axles then using a double u-joint with my bearing hub revised. Would be wider than stock but less than current design.

springer setup

One image is for a plastic mount with a backer plate.
    Attached Images

you are going to need to spline the axle to allow the U joint to operate a a different swing radius than your lower a arm. otherwise it similar to the old springer designs. some had the u joint at the center line of the A arm pivot. also hustlers have a large box on the drivers side to give the engine clutch clearance. this design lends itself better to an Argo ,Max , or Attex.
    Acta non verba

Jerseybigfoot

No spline needed. That is the secret sauce. The knuckle (bearing housing) holds an LM76 BullDog bearing that is very low friction and accommodates the rotational and linear movement. The solid bearing slides up and down the shaft without a mechanical bearing. These bearings are made to work in slurry's where traditional bearings would fail.

Quote Originally Posted by shawngray66 View Post
    These bearings are made to work in slurry's where traditional bearings would fail.
    On hard anodized shafts. On a standard 4140 axle shaft with no seal you may find you will not get the same results.

Keith.

+ Reply to Thread