Attex 6x6 picture thread

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Attex 6x6 picture thread

What on the exhaust pipe?

By chance, just wondering.
    That insulation on the exhaust.
    Is that asbestos? Hope not! Just curious.

Very nice ride.

Exaust insulation

You know lewis, I was wondering that myself. Does anyone know if that insulation is stock? And if so, what was it?
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

They used the cloth on first and second generation Attex, and I believe it to be asbestos, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Attex Chief update

Okay, here's a completely blatant "look what I done!" post, but regardless... I've thrown a bunch of pictures into a new album in my gallery, labeled 750 Chief. I took these last night, and the machine is slowly reaching somewhat of a conclusion, although I'll always be changing it. There's still a lot more sanding to be done on the lower body, and it needs a new dash decal badly (and I seriously effed on putting my brand new side-decals on, but whatev-).

There's one picture of it before I ever picked it up. I don't even remember it looking like that... That was 2 years ago, I think. I'll post other mid-progress shots as I find them amidst the hard drives and flash cards...

Enjoy!
    ~m

Tail pipe insulation

Not trying to scare anyone, just to inform:

I know this sound kinda crazy, but like i have said before this is some bad stuff. You do not need to be exposed to this even in small doses.
    I have had to deal with this material in industry for better than 35 years, and have seen the final effects of this.

Just my opinion guys. I deal a lot with this stuff and that is why i asked the question. I would treat it as asbestos. The danger with this material is when it becomes airborne.

Get a white throw away suite and gloves. Other wise when you wash your clothing you wife becomes exposed.

I would soak this stuff down with a sprayer (gently) then cover it with a plastic sheet and then remove it. Wear a mask while doing this.
    Also gently wash the machine out once you have dealt with the exhaust.

Once finished bag all content(even white throw away suite and gloves and mask) into another plastic bag and dispose of material. Heavy plastic bags are recommended, doesn't puncture as easily.

Just a note: If interested asbestos exposure is what killed Steve Mcqueen. Mesothlioma is what he had which to this date. No survivors.

Just for info if your are interested here are a few fact about asbestos.
    ASBESTOS IN THE HOME:
    WHERE IT IS AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT

(contributed by Jonathan Richardson; email: shimmr@interpath.com)

Asbestos has been mined and used by humans for millennia. The Romans, however, were the first to record its uses and also its harmful side effects. The Romans would weave the fibrous mineral into fabric sheets which were used as napkins and tablecloths, and utilized primarily by the aristocracy. Since the Industrial Revolution of the nineteenth century, asbestos has been used extensively by man; first, in the industrial settings, and later, in the home.

Asbestos is a mineral fiber found in rocks and still mined today in Canada and South Africa. There are many different kinds of asbestos, most of which are easily accessible in mining operations, and all share the same qualities of fire resistance and insulation, which have made asbestos so prevalent in industry and in residential dwellings. Asbestos literally means the asbestiform varieties of chrysotile, amosite, tremolite, crocidiolite, anthophyllite, and actinolite. Asbestos containing material is defined as any material containing greater than 1% asbestos.

Due to the fibrous nature of asbestos, very small pieces can break off and become airborne. These fibers are microscopic and can pass easily through the filters of your HVAC system, or through the filters of traditional vacuum cleaners. If these fibers are inhaled, they can become lodged in the tissue of the lungs. Through this inhalation, asbestos-related diseases can occur.

Asbestos has been linked to three primary diseases; Cancer (of the lungs and of the stomach), mesothelioma, and asbestosis. These diseases often have a latency period of 25 years or more. Experts believe that no level of exposure can be determinedly safe. However, in order for asbestos to pose a health risk in the home, these fibers must be released from their material, become airborne, and then be inhaled.

Most products that contain asbestos do not pose a serious health risk. The greatest risk occurs to humans when asbestos containing products are abraded or damaged, which allows asbestos fibers to become airborne. Insulations that are dry and easily reduced to dust by hand pressure (a condition known as friable) pose the greatest risk in the home. This risk is compounded greatly to all occupants of the house when one or more people in the home smoke cigarettes.

The Federal Government has taken several steps to protect the public from asbestos and to increase public awareness. Through the Clean Air Act of 1973, a set of standards called NESHAP (National Emission Standard For Hazardous Air Pollutants) was passed to regulate asbestos products. Additionally, in 1973, the EPA (The Environmental Protection Agency) banned the use of asbestos that could be installed as a ceiling spray (decorative sprays on walls and ceilings,) insulation, soundproofing, and fire protection. In 1975 the EPA also banned the use of certain types asbestos containing pipe insulation. In 1977, the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) banned the use of artificial fireplaces which contained asbestos that could become airborne easily. The CPSC also banned in 1977 certain patching compounds containing asbestos. In 1990, the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA), an amendment to the Asbestos School Hazard Abatement Reauthorization Act of 1990, was passed and set the standard for asbestos inspections and asbestos building inspectors.

Asbestos has been used in homes for four primary reasons. The first is for safety; asbestos is extremely resistant to fire and will not incinerate except at extremely high temperatures, therefore acting as fire retardant. Secondly, asbestos has been used in many different types of insulation to increase its efficiency. Thirdly, asbestos has been used in surfacing materials to increase their fire-resistance and to aid in sound-proofing. Finally, asbestos has been used to increase the tensile strength of certain products such as linoleum and floor tile.

COMMON TYPES OF ASBESTOS FOUND IN THE HOME

Below is a list of the major sources of asbestos found in many homes. If any of these materials are in your home, they should not be broken, cut, abraded, sanded, stripped, chipped, sawed, drilled, scraped, or otherwise disturbed from their original place of installation without help from a licensed asbestos consultant. Do not disturb material unless absolutely necessary. Fiber release can occur if these materials are handled improperly. If these materials have already been damaged, then human contact should be kept at a minimum.

Some vinyl floor tiles have been strengthened with asbestos, as well as the backing on some vinyl floors. Some vinyl floor tiles also contain asbestos as well as the mastic which holds it to the floor. If a new floor is being installed, the safest and most cost-effective method is to place the new material directly on top of the old. Some textured paints manufactured before 1978 contain asbestos. These paints are best left undisturbed if they are not damaged. Painting over these existing paints with an enamel-based paint is the safest and most cost-effective means to encapsulate this paint. Wall and ceiling joints that have been repaired before 1977 may also contain asbestos. If this material is in poor condition, repair is recommended. If the material is in good condition, it is best not to disturb the material in any way.

In many older wood stoves and furnaces and the surrounding area, asbestos products have been installed to protect the surrounding walls and floor. In the insulation of stoves and furnaces, cement sheets, commonly used in conjunction with wood stoves, will not release fibers unless scraped. Often, the cement sheets are coated with a high temperature paint to help with the encapsulation of these fibers. Asbestos containing paper and millboard are also used in this type of application. These two products are more susceptible to erosion and damage. If insulation is crumbling, cracking, or breaking off around or near the stove or furnace, activity in this area should be extremely restricted. The door gaskets in these stoves and furnaces may also contain asbestos and should be handled with the same precautions taken.

Hot water, steam lines and boilers in homes may contain asbestos insulation to prevent heat loss as well as protect other materials in close proximity. These materials can take the form of a block insulation which is usually white and powdery, called caloe. Another type looks like corrugated cardboard and is usually white or gray, and is called air-cell. Some pipes are wrapped with a cloth material or a paper tape that also contains asbestos. Some ductwork has a white tape around its joints that is also asbestos.

If you find any of these types of asbestos containing products in your home, attic, crawlspace, or a pipe chase, the best course of action is to leave them alone.

Occasionally, asbestos-insulation will have been manufactured directly into the plaster that has been used in the manufacturing of your home's walls and ceilings. Home repairs and renovations will, to some degree, disturb this material. A licensed asbestos contractor should be consulted on how to work around this problem.

Some older household appliances such as refrigerators, popcorn poppers, ovens, dishwashers, furnaces, gas and oil heaters, toasters, clothes-dryers, ranges, slow-cookers, and electric-blankets contain asbestos products. Traditional use of these appliances should not result in the release of asbestos fibers, nor do they pose a significant threat to human health. However, certain older hair-dryers do contain a heat-shield that releases asbestos-fibers during use. These dryers were recalled in 1979, but it is possible that there are some still in circulation. Current hair-dryers do not contain these heat shields. A qualified appliance technician should be consulted if repairs to the appliance are necessary.

Siding and roofing shingles made with asbestos cement on your house are usually on the outside and pose little danger. If your roof needs replacing, the most economic and safe way to handle these shingles is to simply cover them with the new shingles. Asbestos siding shingles are usually made of a solid board commonly called transite. If you are having new siding put on your house, then simply covering the existing asbestos siding with your new siding is safest and most cost-effective. If these siding shingles are already damaged, then an enamel based paint may be used as an encapsulant to help prevent additional fiber release.

Hi:
    Well, since Don thinks it is, it is gone. Got the answer at the right time, had a nice thunderstorm going through, so I opened er up and carefully pulled the cloth off, and its bagged and tagged. Thanks for the info Lewis. It's good to let people know that this stuff is still around. My grandfather worked with G.E. and many many years ago, he worked extensively with asbestos materials. He had told us that there were many days they did extensive work with the stuff and he would have to clear the fibers from his nostrils as it would irritate and clog his nose. He was lucky, and lived into his 90s without ever contracting cancer. But many aren't so lucky and I think anyone with a similar cloth on their exaust should carefully remove it.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Okay, here's a completely blatant "look what I done!" post,
    I'd have posted it, too: Nice, nice work.

Lewis- I didn't realize asbestos was quite that bad. I've probably got a bunch of NOS exhaust wrap blankets and pillows (they used them in the 208TT over the exhaust exit in the back of the body) that were made from the same stuff.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Insulation

Don do you still have this material?

Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    Don do you still have this material?

Lewis
    Lewis- Yes, probably. I've got some bins of old Attex stuff stored away and haven't had them open in quite a while. Next time I get the bins open I'll wet down and dispose of the fabric. Thanks for the information.

Wild Wolf

Picture of today's ride.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread