1995 MAX II - T-20 TRANS Slips out of gear ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1995 MAX II - T-20 TRANS Slips out of gear ?

1995 MAX II - T-20 TRANS Slips out of gear ?

I'm really new to this 6x6. Just changed the T-20 fluid, 14 oz's came out. Put in 28 oz w/ 4oz. runs well when in gear. any ideas where to statr first ?
    Last edited by 814cannob; 03-19-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: moved thread from Max forum to transmission forum

Disconnect the linkage to the trans and then shift your diamonds by hand. If they don't feel like they are locking into place then you have bad or broken detent springs. There is one on each side so if one feels different than the other one spring is bad.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thank you so much for the reply. I'll give it a try.

I just got done removing the linkage. the dimonds feel like there working. they snap into place when moved. Any other ideas ? It will shift, just seems better when the idle go's down. Maybe it's the idle problem.

Does it pop out of gear or it's just hard to get to go into gear?

When stuck in snow it pops out of gear. I may be trying to force it to much. Once the engine idles down it seems to go in to gear better.
    Last edited by 814cannob; 03-19-2013 at 07:08 PM.

It sounds like you are trying to shift it while the clutch is still engaged. You shouldn't do that. You should only shift it after the engine is slowed down enough for the clutch to disengage. You will hear it kick out, then shift it. If you don't do that, its like doing a neutral drop on an automatic transmission.
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

might want to check the primary clutch to make sure it is completly disengaging . if not it could be keeping enuff tension on the trans to not completly take to full engagement when your shifting. i just went through this with one of my other units with a centrifugal clutch.
    whats a four stroke ? you mean they make low h.p. motors that dont smoke ? who wants that ????
    like Henry FORD iv always got a better way

Quote Originally Posted by 814cannob View Post
    I hate to say both. When stuck in snow it pops out of gear. I may be trying to force it to much. Once the engine idles down it seems to go in to gear better.
    You should never try to shift the transmission with the engine revving. It should only be at idle (make sure your idle isn't set too high as well) when you shift gears or you'll be forcing it and it'll shift hard.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread