CVT test run

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CVT test run

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-13-2016 at 01:00 PM.

I milled some more weight off today and gave it a try. I started out with weights @ 312g, tried 238g, and today tried 194.5g. Why the "odd" trial weights? It's because it can take several tries on the mill to get them all the same...by the time they are all within 1/2 gram, that's what I got.
    The test run today went very well. Upshift was slow, began around 3000 rpm (where I was fully shifted) and seemed to finish around 4300 rpm. This is just a bit more than I had planned, but it tells me what I should buy. Hopefully I can buy 200g weights that will accept the additional discs.
    This is a bit confusing Cvtech R&D - - Caractristiques des blocs
    I'll just call Roy again Monday
    Attached Images

After the last trial run I decided to add a little more weight back on. That's when it hit me...Why not make the added weight adjustable? So I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole in the center of each weight. I used a grade 8 bolt, 2 washers and a lock washer to bring the weight back to 208 grams. This time I ran the machine down the paved road looking for as little rolling resistance as possible. The clutches seemed to be fully shifted at around 4300 rpm. This is very similar to the lighter weights (194g).
    I think I can live with the 4300 rpm, and I think it may change a little when the spring is changed anyway. So, I guess I'll keep it at this weight for now.
    The digital tach made reading the rpm very hard, so I ordered a nice analog one. I can reevaluate when I get it installed. IMG_0026.jpgIMG_0025.jpg
    To recap for reference purposes, here is some info on weights available from an Argo dealer. Compliments of Mudbug and this thread http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...html#post92243
    Optional weights are:

1 127-208 Weight Set (3), 185g - High Elevation....+37g = 222 grams

1 127-209 Weight Set (3), 220g - High Elevation...+37g = 257 grams

1 127-210 Weight Set (3), 240g - High Elevation...+37g = 277 grams

And the standard 275 gram. These are the values of the insert blocks, so for a total weight you have to add the 37 grams of the plastic slider. 275g + 37g = 312 grams

Jim I like the idea of adjustable weight. Is it possible to move the adjustable weights up and down to control engagements? If the majority of weight was on the bottom of the weight or closer to the center of the clutch, would it prevent the clutch from up shifting as quickly as a stock set up? I suspect moving the weight will make as much of a difference as increasing or reducing the weight. Maybe a combination of both would make for the perfect low torque high speed combination on a machine.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

The slider blocks really don't slide...it's more of a rocking action. I did have the same thought, but more along the lines of making sure the weight was taken off the blocks evenly.
    I think the weight would have more of an effect if it was on the end that tips, but would be harder to predict.

Good work on working towards the weight issue puzzle. Another example of an amphib owner with skills working to solve a problem. Where are the engineers when they are needed?
    Every time an issue like this comes up it pushes me more towards hydraulic power. A pump with direct drive will eliminate the clutches entirely.
    Great work on the clutches Jim.

If you are trying to lower the engagement RPM i think you should be adding weight to the primary .
    Or reduce the spring pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooo guy View Post
    If you are trying to lower the engagement RPM i think you should be adding weight to the primary .
    Or reduce the spring pressure
    The PowerBloc clutches work a little differently than the old comets. The springs have 2 ratings, NM @ engagement, and NM @ fullly shifted (I forget their terms). My spring is rated at 600nm/900nm. Yes, the spring pushes back against the advance of the weights, but primarily it is sized for the initial engagement. Cvtech R&D - - Ajustement des poulies
    Tech info from CVTech says to size the weights first then move to the spring.
    I'm hoping that by documenting my trials and errors, I can save someone else a few steps in the future.

I have been trying to figure out how to lower the shift point on my clutch.
    When I have a heavy load of wood on my back rack or pulling a trailer with a passenger
    it takes a lot longer to upshift.
    But when I ride alone without any load the upshift happens much quicker.
    The rpm is around 5500 to 6000 when it shifts in both cases.
    Im interested to see how adjusting the primary weights effects your shift point.
    I love R&D ....keep us posted

I did a few more test runs yesterday with the new analog tach installed...
    I was surprised how accurate the cheap little digital tach was, even though it can be a little hard to read with the numbers changing.
    I also tried changing the belt tension, and found out what a big difference that can make. With the belt too tight (3/4" or so deflection), it lowered the fully shifted RPM to about 4k.
    With it too loose (1 1/4"), it allowed the primary to close farther at the start before the machine moved, making a more jerky takeoff. I finally settled on about 1 1/16" deflction.
    The real test will be this weekend at the Bundy Hill ride.
    Last edited by thebuggyman1; 03-11-2013 at 05:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread