? chain windup with rubber tracks - help.....

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ? chain windup with rubber tracks - help.....

? chain windup with rubber tracks - help.....

Hi guys,

I've read all that I could on this forum re: tracks, drive chains, bearings, axles, chain tensioner systems, and chain wind-up. All the info has been very helpful indeed.

So here's the situation: I bought an 04 avenger last spring in great condition (only 83 hours). The machine came with 18 inch argo rubber tracks installed which I removed right away. I put the tracks back on a few weeks ago for the winter but a few things are not sitting right with me. I'm experiencing what I suspect is chain wind-up on the right side.

My axles and bearings are great all around. I have 25 inch rawhide III tires. My chains don't appear to be stretched as I have lots of room left on my tensioners. Essentially, my machine appears mechanically sound.

I followed the installation instructions perfectly (accounting for tire size, positioning, and psi). Took the machine out a few times in the snow and seemed to be pulling to the right. I hoisted the machine and checked out how the chains were performing and here's what I found:

On the left side: all seemed good. Chain was not too tight. I manually turned the track several rotations in all directions and the chain never got too tight.

On the right: all the chains were very tight with no play at all. Were I turned the tracks in reverse a few revolutions, they would become less tight on top. Then I manually turned the tracks forward a few revolutions and they would immediately get super tight......I mean very tight. Not having this issue on the left side. The tensioner slider blocks on the right are under lots of pressure.

I'm guessing this is why the machine is pulling to the right a little because of the added resistance. I really want to solve this problem to avoid premature wear and damage to the machine.

Any suggestions, ideas?

I don't run tracks nor have I ever, but I would research track tuners from adair argo. I am not positive it will solve your issues, but it seems to me they are designed to eliminate excess wrap.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Tire diameter is critical for rubber tracks. The plastic tracks are more forgiving due to slippage. The at189 tire was designed to be a true 25. This will ensure that the tires diameter is true for track use and help stop chain windup. With the at189 tires i have had no trouble with chain windup on my 06 or 11 Avenger.

Rock Doctor is a member that runs tracks probably more that anyone else and he may have some advice.

Hope this helps
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

These might help the issue:

Track Tuners.

adairargosales - adairargosales
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Why not try and lower the tire pressure on that side to loosen the track?

Thanks for the tips. I ordered some Adair track tuners today. Based on the feedback from those who use them, this should solve my problem. I'll let you all know how they perform.

Grandsteph

You're going to love the track tuners. They make a huge difference when you're running rubber tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsteph View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I ordered some Adair track tuners today. Based on the feedback from those who use them, this should solve my problem. I'll let you all know how they perform.
    Ya beat me to the punch. Every post i have ever seen has sung the praises of the track tuners! I have yet to find one that said they did not perform! Let us know if you like them too!

You have clearly described my issue only difference is its on my left where yours are on the right, so I dropped the tracks and reset the tensioners and everything seems to be fine now, but at first I thought I had broken something but didnt...Im interested in track tuners as well as I have the wider rubber tracks too...

installed track tuners......still at a loss with chain windup

Hi guys.

Getting a little discouraged here. You may have read my earlier post re: chain windup on my 04 Avenger when using rubber tracks. There was some variation in tire diameter but installation done as per manufacturer instructions. The bearings, axles, and chains all looked to be in great shape. Still......major chain windup issues.

Bought the track tuners and installed them thinking my issues would be solved. Took the argo (with tracks and track tuners) out for a good spin on the lake to test it out. Rode about 8 or 9 miles. Less than 1/3 into my trip, I could smell smoke. Got home and took the floor out of the back end to check out the chains. The chains were very tight and burning hot to the touch. The nylon tensioner blocks were gouged 1/4 inch by the chains. The smoke I was smelling was the chain lube overheated by the hot chains. FYI.....my chains were properly lubed before I took it out.

I can say that before I installed the track tuners, I verified that the bearings, chains, etc. and all were fine. The track is proper length and I have about 2 inch clearence on the bottom when jacked up.

Really not sure what's going on. I have spent many hours installing....uninstalling...installing....uninsta lling...trying different things. If I can't use my machine with tracks without it damaging my machine and costing me time and money.......I'll have to consider selling it.

This is my final attempt at solving this mystery. Any ideas or advice?
    Last edited by Mike; 02-03-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic

+ Reply to Thread