two transmissions one swamp fox 8X8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: two transmissions one swamp fox 8X8

I think they went to the gallery.

Those pictures just made my day! Thanks so much for posting them. The only pics I've ever seen were the small resolution ones on the Craigslist ad. I never saw a Swamp Fox with the optional 2 speed gearbox. It's an interesting set up, especially after seeing the close up pics. This looks like they basically took a standard short tub (not the tall Super version) Swamp Fox and just stretched it out, kind of like Attex did with their 8x8 military tank trainer. Thanks so much for posting the pics for us to enjoy. I posted some of the thumbnail links below.

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for posting those pictures. That is a very unique machine and I'm sure most of the enthusiast here were glad to see it. I'm not sure what you plan on doing with it but I'd like to throw out a plea. Please, Please don't cut it up / camo paint it or turn it into a tank (sorry George!) this unit deserves a nice original restore. Unfortunately it's value in $ won't go up that much even though it's rare so it would have to be a labor of love. Sometimes people hear rare and think $$$ but in reality things like this are only interesting to a pocket of us people who happen to enjoy this hobby. I'm looking forward to updates as you go and congrats on finding a really cool unique machine.
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Thanks for posting the photos, this is a really nice and unique machine. I agree with micmac that it needs to stay stock and would be a great candidate for a full restoration some day. I'm sure its really enjoyable to operate.

I noted the Honda Ridgeline in the background, nice vehicle as well, I've got one and think they are great.

Again, thanks for the photos of the 8x8 Swamp Fox, would love to see it up close some day!

got it going and took it out. what a blast. the 2 speed tranny made a world of difference in the speed. on lever on the t20 slips out of foreword; does it need adjustment or new guts on the shifter guide?
    santa

Glad to hear you got to take it out. Unfortunately, slipping out of gear sounds like a detent spring gone bad. You are probably going to need to crack open the t20. The good news is you can do a quick rebuild while its open and its not that hard or time consuming.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

And detent springs are readily available, along with all other T-20 parts, directly from Recreatives. Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511 The detent springs are very cheap, but unfortunately, like Drew said you have to open the transmission to get to them. They're inside the shift collars, and a pair of needle nose pliers removes them quick and easy. There is one for each side. Take a look in the "How-To" section of the side for T-20 rebuild info.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...build-how.html
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Can anyone identify the secondary transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    This looks like they basically took a standard short tub (not the tall Super version) Swamp Fox and just stretched it out, kind of like Attex did with their 8x8 military tank trainer.
    I still don't buy it! I'd love to be proved wrong, but it STILL looks like a Super tub to me! The distance between the rubber "belly band" and the bottom of the lower tub is still WAY different than what we've been calling the "Standard" Fox all these years.

Look at the difference in that distance from Larry's photo...

I mean, there's this body in the picture above, there's what we all call the "Super Swamp Fox" (yours, JP; Noel's, Don's, Tomo's, Renegade's, mine etc....), and if this body isn't a Super, that means there's a third body (at least a prototype, which this obviously is, kinda...) that they based it on.

On the back of the lower tub, it really looks like the 90 degree "bend" in the fiberglass happens at least a couple (maybe a few?) inches higher on the Super.

I dunno... I really think we need some measurements to compare these two beasts. I don't know if we have a member with a "Standard" Fox yet, so maybe... just maybe JP, it's your duty to find one (for me, for you, for whomever ) to get them lined up side by side.

Regardless, this 8x8 is awesome. I'd love more information on the gear box. I've been playing around with the idea of putting the front half of an NP203 transfer case between the engine and T-20, but I haven't gotten much further than just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post

Looking at the photos the windshield lip looked obvious to me between the two. Then I looked at this and shot that thought down. Super Swamp Fox without the windshield lip.

+ Reply to Thread