two transmissions one swamp fox 8X8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: two transmissions one swamp fox 8X8

Mark, great observation. The standard Swamp Foxes and the earlier Super Swamp Foxes didn't have that windshield lip. Mine doesn't, Mike's does.

Mike, I'm pretty certain that the lower tub is a standard Swamp Fox tub. I think what's throwing us off is the 23x10.50x12 tires on the 8x8. That standard Swamp Fox in Missouri that was on Craigslist not too long ago had this same tire and wheel setup. On the 8x8, it looks like they put a newer top half of the body with the windshield lip and on the lower body they trimmed an inch or two off the top edge, all around, giving the machine a slightly "slimmer" look in the mid section, compared to a standard 6x6 Swamp Fox. I remember when this machine first popped up on Craigslist, probably about 4 or 5 years ago, 6X6World member boncrshr and I were talking about it and he inquired about it because he thought about getting it back to Texas and putting 25" Vampires on it (back then Interco had tons of them on their blem page super cheap.......I should have bought some!). Anyway, he asked the seller about how much room there was for larger tire. He said, there wasn't very much room and it looked like the tires that were on it were the biggest you could go.

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post

Mike, I'm pretty certain that the lower tub is a standard Swamp Fox tub. I think what's throwing us off is the 23x10.50x12 tires on the 8x8.
    So, then.... the distance outlined (in this absolutely horrible picture I made) is the same, then?

Something's wrong here, or I'm optically deluded....

::EDIT:: OK, I see where you're suggesting that they trimmed a couple inches off the bottom.... I need to go look at more pictures now, but I see where you're headed with the tire argument. The seller of the one in Missouri said that the 23 was the biggest he could fit, but I wonder how adventurous he really was. I want to see exactly how much room is between the top of the tire and the lower body on the 8x8. I don't mean to beat this thing to death, but I really want to know.....
    Last edited by hydromike; 01-24-2013 at 02:26 PM.

From memory, I recall the lower body of the standard Swamp Fox being shorter than the Super. I've seen two regular machines and maybe six Supers over the years. Either way its a rare machine.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    So, then.... the distance outlined (in this absolutely horrible picture I made) is the same, then?

Something's wrong here, or I'm optically deluded....

::EDIT:: OK, I see where you're suggesting that they trimmed a couple inches off the bottom.... I need to go look at more pictures now, but I see where you're headed with the tire argument. The seller of the one in Missouri said that the 23 was the biggest he could fit, but I wonder how adventurous he really was. I want to see exactly how much room is between the top of the tire and the lower body on the 8x8. I don't mean to beat this thing to death, but I really want to know.....

Haha, I was going to make that same exact picture that you did. Yes, where you highlighted, they took that extra bit of meat off the bottom tub to give it that "thinner" look for some reason when they made the 8x8. The original seller of the 8x8 on Craigslist was the one that said you couldn't fit anything bigger than the 23" tire that was on it. The seller of the 6x6 standard Swamp Fox sounded like she needed to make a trip to the methadone clinic and seemed quite paranoid that she was being followed by those pesky buggers kept popping out from behind the wall again.

25's would be so cool on a standard Swamp Fox, or even better yet, on the 8x8!

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    The seller of the 6x6 standard Swamp Fox sounded like she needed to make a trip to the methadone clinic and seemed quite paranoid that she was being followed by those pesky buggers kept popping out from behind the wall again.
    Yeah, she was from Planet Claire... absolutely. I wonder what became of it...

Let's get Santa to settle this for us. I'd love to see a measurement between the bottom of the tub (as though the tub was setting on the ground) and the top of the tire-well area. The oblique photos of the tires don't really show how much room is above the tires. You'd only need 1.5" above the 23" tire to fit a 26.

Planet Claire? I guess she was in her own private Idaho.

Hi to all ,
    Another difference in the bodies u all have missed is the vent holes in the body, some are LH or RH side. This maybe due to the engines that are fitted originally or as i suspect there was a gen 1 and a 2nd generation body styles .
    In regards to the windscreen lip ,as u would expect came with screen irrespective of any thing else.

If anybody can find the factory disc brake option "" now we are talking""

Extra tranny find good and impessive

tomo

Here's a good one for you, Tomo. Some of the early Swamp Fox models were offered with an optional Berkeley Jet Drive unit. I'm having the brochure scanned and I'll get it on the site soon for everyone.

sorry it took so long to reply. from the bottom of the tub to the top of the wheel well is 19 1/2 inches. Inside measurements as if the tub was on the ground. about 1 1/2 inch from the top of the tire to the tub. not much room. wish it had more so i could put bigger tires. thanks for the information, keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    sorry it took so long to reply. from the bottom of the tub to the top of the wheel well is 19 1/2 inches. Inside measurements as if the tub was on the ground. about 1 1/2 inch from the top of the tire to the tub. not much room. wish it had more so i could put bigger tires. thanks for the information, keep it coming!
    So there's an inch and a half from the top of the tire to to the tub? That means you could fit 25's on it......very cool! After looking at all of the pics of standard Swamp Fox AATVs, I noticed that there wasn't very much room and I didn't think 25's would clear, but after you got those measurements, it sounds like they will. That's very exciting news. Now who is going to be the first with a standard Swamp Fox to put 25's on it. Take a set of 25x12x9 Goodyear Rawhide III's off an Argo and put 'em on a Fox!

+ Reply to Thread