Siezed Briggs 16hp Vanguard... buy new or rebuild?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Siezed Briggs 16hp Vanguard... buy new or rebuild?

Siezed Briggs 16hp Vanguard... buy new or rebuild?

I'm still working on my 1998 MAX IV restoration. We had it all done and seemed to be running good.

The max had sat for a few years and wouldn't start when i bought it 4 months ago.
    we replaced the fuel lines, rebuilt carb, new fuel pump, oil, etc and it was running great.

I had it out today and all of a sudden at basically idle speed barely moving something broke loose in the engine, just a small rattle sound not a loud bang or knock at first i thought the belt or clutch was hitting something, it was still running but i killed it once i realized the engine had a rattle.

when i tried to restart it, locked up....damn... cant get it to turn over with the pull cord either.

what would you do? something like this Cheap and easy:

DuroMax 16 Hp., 1'' Shaft, Recoil/Electric Start Engine - XP16HPE XP16HPE

take it a part and try a rebuild
    785-290 Overhaul Kit for Briggs & Stratton 400400, 400700, 401400, 402707, 404700, 422400 and 422700; for 16 and 18 HP standard engines

Or should i take this as an opportunity to go with something more powerful than 16hp

This is a shot in the dark, but Briggs Vanguard pushrods are commonly culprits for internal engine issues. I personally would stick with a Briggs Vanguard rather than the DuroMax engine. I think you'd get better performance out of it. OR save up some money and put it toward a larger V twin Briggs or Kohler. Sometimes they come up cheap online. Just some thoughts to consider.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Any experience rebuilding one?

I never had to do any internal work on a Briggs Vanguard, but maybe some others that have can chime in. I'd get the factory service manual. They're usually on ebay at a good price. Also, Al Hodge at Performance V Twins would be an excellent man to consult. Performance V-Twins
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Pull the flywheel, remove the nut/ bolt/ pebble.... whatever got behind it and wedged. replace the flywheel if it killed any magnets, stator if it got killed.... keep playing! This is just my guess, but it's fairly common
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

First thing i would check is the pushrods and valves.
    Pull the valve covers and look for a bent pushrod or stuck valve or broken spring.
    Try turning the flywheel backwards and see if it moves.

I will check the valves and if they look good I'll pull the flywheel....

thx appreciate the input

anyone know where i can get a service manual for the motor..... I haven't built a small engine since junior high shop class (granted it wasn't a V-Twin) but i have built a few jeeps and muscle cars over the years so i have some pretty good basic knowledge of the internal combustion engine.....
    this thing cant be any harder than rebuilding the big block in a '69 firebird. OHV maybe a little more advanced but still.

If i could locate a good Briggs vanguard manual i may just change the crank out and make it a 20hp... hehehe
    Last edited by fastEd; 01-16-2013 at 12:16 PM.

That's the spirit!

thanks bazoo.... at first glance that looks like exactly what i need.

anyone know of any good parts suppliers if i do decide to swap out the crank and increase HP? and is increasing HP going to give me sprocket, axle and tranny problems by overpowering and old machine?

+ Reply to Thread