Siezed Briggs 16hp Vanguard... buy new or rebuild?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Siezed Briggs 16hp Vanguard... buy new or rebuild?

I think I would trar it down and see what the problem is and then decide, I agree with Bazooo it may be something thats an easy fix. If you get into it and it needs rebuilding I think your still better off than the Duro Max and youll be more familar with it on the trail

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by anotheramature View Post
    I think I would trar it down and see what the problem is and then decide, I agree with Bazooo it may be something thats an easy fix. If you get into it and it needs rebuilding I think your still better off than the Duro Max and youll be more familar with it on the trail
    and to add,,,, the satisfaction of doing it is priceless. besides what can it hurt to tear into it, its already not working,,,, the least you can do is find out what caused it to seize.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

I am with everyone else. To tear into it and do it yourself could be a simple fix, it could be as simple as a bolt or nut has fallin down in behind your flywheel and wedged itself in there, or it could be that you have a pistion that has broke off from the control arm that is wedge, either of which is not outside of your know how. just on a smaller scale. Me and Fred had a great time learning and repairing our engines. So far we have done a 16hp, 18, and I will need to do my rings on my 20hp(bored out to be 30hp).
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

I started tearing into it last night and it looks like (keep your fingers crossed)...... something fell behind the flywheel.... valves look good, oil looks good, and it will turn over by hand on the on the flywheel with a little finesse. definitely sounds like something fell behind the flywheel and is binding.

going to pull the flywheel this weekend and hope for the best. anyone know exactly what size and thread bolts i need to have for the puller... i noticed the motor seems to be metric....
    Last edited by fastEd; 01-17-2013 at 04:46 PM.

No pulled needed. Use a big strap wrench and crescent wrench to loosen the big bolt. When you have loosened the bolt, beat on it with a hammer. I use a 2 1/2 lb hammer for this. The fly wheel will then come loose. Remove the bolt and just take the fly wheel off by hand.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

If your engine is newer and there isn't any corrosion on the shaft or the flywheel you can do what Drew suggested and it'll work well. If your flywheel hasn't been off in a long time or there's some corrosion on it, you'll need a puller. Use a steering wheel puller. You can get one from Autozone with their free loan a tool service. All the correct hardware should be in the kit.

Steering Wheel Puller | AutoZone.com
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I dropped a screw driver tip in there engine running. shut it down and locked it up. got the flywheel off with puller, pretty easy. don't rotate the flywheel to much though as you can damage the magnets. after cleaning the dirt and magnet debris I only had minor damage to two magnets but be prepared to get a new stator. I had more damage to it and replaced it. I'm no mechanic and I got it all resolved. I didn't do anything to the flywheel but clean it and re install. I still get 13.5 volts on the meter. I looked high and low for a new flywheel though and mine was dicontinued and many places listed it in stock but seemed everyones invertory listed as wrong. I did get one later for pretty cheap but haven't needed it so far.

I have several good used flywheels and stators if you end up needing either one
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Section 3 in the manual i posted describes how to get the flywheel off.
    If you dont have a puller unscrew the nut till its flush with the end of the crankshaft
    and use a brass punch when you hit it.
    That way you wont damage the nut or threads.

+ Reply to Thread