Bearing removal question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bearing removal question

Question

Is this a good price on the Fafnir RA100RRB AG, $14.07 + $5.63 shipping?
    Amazon.com: Fafnir RA100RRB AG Narrow Inner Ring Ball Bearing Insert With Eccentric Lock: Industrial & Scientific
    Is that the same triple sealed bearing from Buffalo Bearings that JPswift was talking about?

Inner bearing is not the same as outer one, in case anyone was wondering

Got my bearings from Buffalo Bearings. The outer bearing was MAX-SA 205 16
    They did not have the correct inner bearing in stock but I modified the flange of the one they had and made it work. I just cut out the ends of the holes since the bolt spacing was a bit narrower than the original. I had planned to just use the old flange but couldn't because the new bearing was .05 larger than the old one I just drilled the holes larger and cut where the black lines are:

The original inner bearing number is a Nice 6916b with a 2 inch outer diameter and a 3 1/4" bolt spacing. That would have been $24.65 if they had them in stock.
    The outer bearing was only $8.10.

Usually if the bearing is that tough to come off, you're going to replace it, so grinding is the fast option. But even a newer good condition will be hard to remove. I use a large vice and close the jaws enough that they will let the axle fit through but hold the bearing on the top. I then use a block of wood and hammer and whack the end of the axle shaft. Key to removing the bearing is taking the whole axle out which you ended up doing. You could also try and bearing puller.

Quote Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
    I got annoyed and just cut it off. Cut the outer race, knocked the cage and bearings off, then cut the inner.
    When getting replacements are the inner and outer the same? I haven't removed the inner yet. Fafnir RA100RRB?
    Is this what I have to look forward to??? Sounds like fun. Did you get to the inner bearings yet, and were they the same? Is that the correct part number?
    Thanks, Dave

Nevermind, I found the answers on the next page............sorry.
    Last edited by superdave; 05-21-2008 at 10:14 PM.

The inner bearings came out easy for me, but in the future I would get the correct Nice 6916b to replace them with.

+ Reply to Thread