Boat motor

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boat motor

Boat motor

I have a new Argo 6x6 and this spring plan to add a boat motor. I would like to hear from anyone regarding what motor might be my best choice. My needs are to navigate river and creek currents. The Argo simply needs a little boost to move me up stream. Do I want a gas engine or electric? And what kind of HP or boost should I look for. Thanks, Wilburjohn

I have an 01 argo bigfoot. I got a free 27 lb thrust trolling motor short shaft. It propels the argo about the same speed as tires and is very easy on the battery. I would like to get a 45-55 l thrust though.h

Trevorakm1: Thanks for your response. I am leaning toward an electric motor and as much thrust as I can afford.

Any of you experienced 6x6 or 8x8 owners. What are the advantages between gas powered outboards vs. electric motors???

You have to be careful not to drain your battery with the electric motor. Some engines do not put out much of a charge....just enough to keep battery charged and run a couple lights....Sometimes if you are using your winch a lot it can drain the battery.

Positive to a gas engine.....If you have gas in your argo then you have gas for your motor...
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

I have a 2010 Max II with a 16 h.p. briggs and the 21 inch tires. Have tryed a 30 lb thrust electric trolling motor and changed the prop to give more thrust,and it is alittle better than the tires, I also have found that an electric trolling motor will draw an amp for every pound of thrust you have, also have a 2.5 horse power 4 stroke yahama short shaft motor and it has also had a prop change to give it the most thrust and it is better than the tires, but it all depends on how fast the river is flowing that you are trying to cross. In spots where i go the river can move the machine at about 8 to 9 miles an hour. Was looking into a 9.9 or smaller outboard because of the weight of the motor.

Wonder how concerned I need to be about the weight of a 5 or 10 horse gas motor. Just seems that the trolling motors are so much lighter to handle. Any idea what thrust would be equivalent to a 5-10 HP gas?

Thanks for your response. Wouldn't any trolling motor require it own dedicated battery?

My 2.5 is about 40 lbs and the 9.9 is about 90 and a 6 is about 60, I run the electric straight of the battery and leave the motor running so if the battery gets run down it is still running when i get to land I can still get out. An additional battery will weight 15 to 28 lbs, motor another 20 lbs so you are close to the weight of the 2.5. I tried to find out about the conversion between the thrust and hp but was not able to find anyone who knew a formula to do that.

I have a 9.9 4 stroke on a 2011 Avenger and it worked great on the 2006 Avenger also. With the 6 wheel vehicle i would lean more to a 5hp 2 stroke. They are light and will push very well in the water. Even with a 9.9 there is only so much speed that you can get due to wheels, hull design and so on and so on. You will need to get a long shaft motor, the short shaft will not reach down far enough to prevent cavitation.

Lewis
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

+ Reply to Thread