Hustler T20 question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hustler T20 question

Maybe if you put the pin in and measure to the other end while holding it tight around the drum. if its even possible. You might need about 4 hands.. Compair it to one that didn't stick out.
    You can completely assemble one half of the t-20 (input side) and bolt the center plate with out dealing with the other half for trouble shooting.
    When you put it back together make sure that you have endplay in the input shaft. If you dont, that means one of those damn washers fell down off of the shoulder inside the drums and got pinched between the outside of the shoulder and the planetary plate as it was reassembled.
    That is if you have the type with the washers.
    Last edited by Bill Gerber; 02-06-2013 at 03:21 AM.

The steel used in older bands is .060" thick, and the newer bands measure .070" thick. You would be best to call transmission crafters and ask, but I think they add .045" of wear material. I do have a fresh relined set in the garage I could go measure.......
    The wear material on your used bands is very hard to measure accurately, because the calipers will sink into it.
    I find it hard to believe that the metal has stretched, being a spring steel, it's more likely to fatigue and crack. Maybe you should have them magnafluxed?
    If you are worried about them making the plungers come out too far, T.C. may be able to put thicker wear material on them???
    I have rebuilt transmissions in the past that had all 4 plungers at different spots, even though the druma had not been turned and the bands were relined. My guess is the bands were just made at slightly different lengths.

If it was my trans, I'd just reline the bands AFTER getting them magnafluxed.

Maybe,as previously mentioned,give Transmission Crafters a call at 229-883-8490. Perhaps they can provide some numbers regarding the thickness of the steel band only vs relined ones. Also,maybe an easy way to measure/gage the length. Maybe they have some data on what a "useable" core measures vs a non-useable one. I'm gonna try to get to the trans I gotta assemble tonite,I know I have a sewing tape measure on my bench. I will measure the length of all four bands with the .095" mat'l on them. I will post the numbers and exactly where I measured from/to later this eve or early tomorrow. Be patient,through this resourceful site I'm sure an explanation will be found. Money not wasted on the trans means more for other needed stuff.(ask me how/why I know this,lol)

Joe.

Drug the bands to work with me, they're about .070 in the bare spots, .105 on the part that doesn't touch the drum. Seeing they still have some lining on them and the drums not being worn makes me wonder why they stuck out of the case so much. What's the O.D. on the drums supposed to be? I don't think this tranny's been apart before, but I can't be sure - maybe it has, and someone turned the drums down? I apprieciate all the input here, guys, I'm just trying to dot my i's and cross my t's before I assemble this thing - I hate doing something twice, especially when it's my fault!!!

"I'm just trying to dot my i's and cross my t's before I assemble this thing - I hate doing something twice, especially when it's my fault!!! "

Good move,especially when it's your $$ too,lol. I don't know the OEM dia for the drums,they are over 6" and all my calipers stop there,have never actually measured one. Guess a few should follow me to work some day. If you measure yours,let us know what you get. There is an explanation for this.

Joe.

I measured the length of two of my bands by wrapping a piece of nylon string around them from the end of the eyelet where it's welded to the band to the same place on the other end. I then measured it with a tape and got 56 3/4"-57".

Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by wmsthree View Post
    What's the O.D. on the drums supposed to be?
    Drums measure 6.210" They can be turned down to 6.180" without a problem, after that it's on an individual basis....
    That's removing .030" from a drum maximum. I did remove .033" to clean one up once and it worked just fine...I even checked the fit with a bare band before it was sent to be relined.

wmsthree

I think you found the problem
    Doing the math, And I really hate math.
    Unworn area .105
    Bare spot .070
    Difference .035
    Drums Dia. 6.210
    Circumference of drum is 19.50

If you subtract .035 all the way around the surface of the drum (or the tightened band) that would be a dia of 6.210 - .070 = 6.14 Times PI gives you a circumference of
    19.288. That gives you a difference of .211
    That would be the added band length per wrap with no lining.
    Times about 2.5 wraps = .52 longer band when tight. But that’s considering all the lining was gone.
    If your lining is worn down to where you have bare spots.
    You would be somewhere in the middle to the top of this range.
    I think this explains the amount that your plunger sticks out in the pic you posted in this thread.
    I think the reline job will hook you up..
    I have edited my math twice so I better check my numbers tomorrow. Its too late and i cant think straight anymore.
    I will edit it if its wrong. But you get the idea. Im going back to bed. Sorry for the caution. Looks like you should have shipped them, like you planned.
    Last edited by Bill Gerber; 02-07-2013 at 05:44 AM.

Joe, Jim, Bill - thank all of you for your inputs. Bill - I agree with your math. I checked my drums with a magnifying glass yesterday (literally) and can't find any evidence that they were turned down. My bands were worn down to bare spots in several places and paper thin in others. Boxed them up and sent them out to Transmission Crafters yesterday, bearings and seal kit is on the way from RI. As soon as the bands come back I'll throw it together and check - but I bet you're right, Bill, new lining x 2 1/2 wraps will put the plunger back where it belongs. Once again, Thank ALL off you for your inputs on this.

Here's a picture of my first freshly rebuilt T-20! I want to give a special thanks to George for posting the T-20 video and Mike for the T-20 rebuild article, they were invaluable. Also a shameless plug for Transmission Crafters in Albany, Ga., for relining my bands and getting them back to me in a very reasonable time. RI was on the ball with my seals, bearings and thrust washers in a timely manner as well. Thanks to all of you who answered my questions and helped me through this, thanks to all the help it was simple! Now all I have to do is drop it in the hustler and get my motor mounts lined out and I'll be riding again!
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread