what is considered a lot of hours

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what is considered a lot of hours

what is considered a lot of hours

Hello
    I am new to this sport and looking at purchasing my first. I would like to know what would be considered a lot of hours on these units. I have found a 1996 6x6 with 340 hours would this be considered low hours.

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Hello
    I am new to this sport and looking at purchasing my first. I would like to know what would be considered a lot of hours on these units. I have found a 1996 6x6 with 340 hours would this be considered low hours.

thanks in advance
    Who is considered fat???? The answer is some guy that weighs at least 5 more pounds than me!

The question you are asking is more like buying a used car. When I was young (and dirt poor) a used car with 150k miles was a bargain. Now I try to buy them with 50k miles and sell them before 150k.

The better way to look at an amphib is: What problems/issues am I likely to have with a machine with 340 hours?
    Make and model will matter here, but in general, it's the basics. Check the bearings, chains, sproockets, and tires. The motor and trans should last well over 1000 hours (if maintained). The bodies/frames are more an issue of abuse.....
    and the machine owned by the little old lady that only drives it to church on Sundays is the one to buy.

Lollllll!

I would love to see someone drive a Argo to church on sundays...
    Click here to see my hunting video:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/vortexw...?feature=guide

Ya mean like this?

Joe.

I just can't beleive it! Loll! Too cool!
    Click here to see my hunting video:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/vortexw...?feature=guide

Well thanks for all the real helpful info
    I guess I was just looking for some problems that may start to occur at this amount of hours not to be looked at as a fool for asking
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Hello

thanks in advance
    Anything that is placed between 3 to 600 hours is a relatively low hour machine,I have kept most of mine till the 1500 hour mark sometimes more but with heavy maintainance.NCT

Hours of use is like the speed of life. Sometimes it not the years its the speed, or the rpm or whatever metaphor you want to use. If the machine sits in the outdoors uncovered or gets ridden hard and not maintained it wont take long for the abuse to show up in worn bearings, chains and the like. The power pak components should generally last 1000 hrs or better. My machine gets about 35- 50 hrs per year max and with basic maintenance will give years of reliable service. RR

Quote Originally Posted by rapidroy View Post
    Hours of use is like the speed of life. Sometimes it not the years its the speed, or the rpm or whatever metaphor you want to use. If the machine sits in the outdoors uncovered or gets ridden hard and not maintained it wont take long for the abuse to show up in worn bearings, chains and the like. The power pak components should generally last 1000 hrs or better. My machine gets about 35- 50 hrs per year max and with basic maintenance will give years of reliable service. RR
    Agreed R roy, most my air coolers back a number of years ago would start to puff the blues in and around 1400 hours but I never had a trans failure.

I'd say for the average weekender 340 is about average, figuring the machine is 16 years old with 340 hours it's about 20 hours a year. As far as the problems all these guys are hitting them, at 340 with minimum maint. It's probably due for chains and bearings if it hasn't had them, by looking at the machine you may be able to judge the way it was maintained, and if you drive it and it's smooth and quiet other then the Argo trans whine it should help your decision.
    We have a 1997 Conquest with 700hrs and a 1999 Vangaurd2 with 1025 hrs on them as a reference, they do require maintenance no matter who drives them or makes them.

If the seller will allow you to jack up the machine and you lift the axles up and down you can judge the bearings as there would be no play in a good one, chains can be judged by pulling up the floor pans.

Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread