comet vs cvtech

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: comet vs cvtech

comet vs cvtech

well for 2 1/2 years ive been trying to get this cvtech to work right, ive tried different weights on pri. ive tried reclocking the driven and it just wont work the way it should, could not get it to down shift when pulling a hill it would want to upshift and smoke a belt, if i played around with the throttle i could get it to cooperate for about 2 seconds and thats it....soooo i even tried going to a 1190 comet hooked to the cvtech driven, same thing P.O.S. SO I FINALLY PUT THE 780 DRIVEN WITH A RED SPRING IN IT AND THAT MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE, WOW..so when comparing i noticed that the problem with the cvtech is the ramping of the helix, its too quick and theirs no fine tuning of clutch when in different loaded ranges...notice the pics of the cvtech and 780 comet ramp angle, i marked the cvtech with a marker so you can see the angle
    Attached Images

I really don't know about those CV Tech clutches and I always figured, stick with the tried and true Comet 780's. They've used them for decades and they've always worked extremely well. There are actually two different ramp angles available for the 780 helix. The 32 degree and 35 degree. I really can't say if there's a very noticeable difference between the two, but the difference between those and the CV Tech looks quite vast. That looks like a 45 to 50 degree angle on that CV Tech driven unit. It seems so steep I could imagine why it would be such a headache to tune properly. Glad to hear you finally got it worked out. That red spring in the Comet 780 is an excellent upgrade too.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

hi
    There are at least 4 different helix angles for the 780 driven
    From memory 26 28 35 and 41 degree
    TUNING... the ramp angle is the first thing u change then fine tune with a spring

Remember there is a smaller secondary 790 and the largest 770 [diameter ]

Most including the factory max 6x6 use 28 degree 780

If u want real fast acceleration a 41 degree is the way to go .This was fitted to my ssfox when i purchased it .U are far better with with a 28 deree which is what i changed to .

tomo

+ Reply to Thread