Changing Fluids in Argo Engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing Fluids in Argo Engine

Changing Fluids in Argo Engine

Ok I got a 1987 argo 8x8 that I took in a river and ended up getting water in the air intake what's the easiest way to change the oil and transmisson fluid its got a kohler 18hp magnum engine any help is greatly appreciated thanks

Pull the drain plugs, and suck up the oil as it flows out the drain. If you make a liquid trap for your shop vac you will not have a messy vac to clean up

[IMG]

RD

Thank you for the reply, I will make an oil trap just like that. I believe the oil drain plug is pretty low on the engine is there any way to get to it? And I don't even see where to put transmission fluid.. I'm new to the argo. Also is there anything else I should do because it sucked in water? Thanks again

Drain the fuel bowl. Don't let it sit - you want to boil off the moisture everywhere in the engine so get it running and let it heat up good.

The m18 oil drain plug is on the left side of the machine(allen head). when i change it i jackup the right side a little higher than the left since the plug is not on the bottom. I also warm the motor up first. i use a cut to fit 1gallon washer fluid bottle. The transmisson drain plug is on the lower backside. the fill hole is plugged by the breather/dipstick which sits on top of the transmisson. gentle unscrew it from the transmisson. i think its made of brass. i had to soak it with pb blaster and carefully unscrew it. the transimisson uses .8 qt of 80/90 hyoc gear oil.
    Last edited by newargoowner; 02-14-2013 at 12:33 PM.

I use a Pela 6000 oil extractor and suck the oil up the dipstick tube. I got it because I added a skid plate to my Jetta TDI that made oil changes a real pain. It is really awesome when I change the oil on my 4-stroke outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    I use a Pela 6000 oil extractor and suck the oil up the dipstick tube. I got it because I added a skid plate to my Jetta TDI that made oil changes a real pain. It is really awesome when I change the oil on my 4-stroke outboard.
    I need one of those for my OB's and Seadoo

RD

I use an extractor as well...in fact I have both the Princess Auto Pneumatic/manual models and they work great for all kinds of fluid extraction. The fact you can hook them up to your air compressor freeing up a hand really helps when trying to extract from small hoses or drain holes.

For those in canada Princess Auto has the 6 Litre one on sale next week for $89 vs regular price of $109.99

Thank you all for the replies so just to be clear I sunk the engine air intake and sucked in water, I have to change engine oil, change transmission oil( I read that the 1987 kohler 18hp magnum can use motor oil in place of transmission fluid is this true?) And drain the fuel bowl? Then try and start it up? I don't want to try and start it with water still in engine is there a drain plug for the engine other than motor oil? I sorry I don't know much I just got this argo a few days ago.

So, just what exactly did you do? Not being nosy......... well, ya, I'm being nosy, lol.
    Did you just get a little water in it? Did you Hydraulic Lock the motor? Did you sink the machine? Why do you think there is water in the Trans?
    Does the engine turn over now? Did you pull your Spark Plugs?

If your oil is not "milky" looking on the dipstick, you are probably OK. If it was just a burp of water, you can probably get away with just adding Gas Line Antifreeze (Isoprople Alchohol)to your fuel to absorbe the water in the carb (Should add a bit when you fuel up anyway)
    As long as the Trans was not UNDER water it should be fine, again, you can check the dipstick for water contamination. As far as I know, you can NOT use engine oil in the trans, 80/90 Gear Oil is what you want (unless you are on a remote trail, and just need to get home, in that case I would use engine oil if its all all I had)

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to "see" what you did.

RD

+ Reply to Thread