Changing Fluids in Argo Engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing Fluids in Argo Engine

Ok I went into a shallow river around and got pinned against ice and while trying to get out of the river water got into the large intake ontop the engine enough to start making the engine sputter... I shut it off as soon as I new water was in the engine but I might have been to late it started to lose power before I turned the key. But at no point did the entire engine go under water or I. Completely sink the argo. I'm not a mechanic but I'm a quick learner and I m familiar with atv engines and general maintence on trucks i just don't want to ruin the engine

After I shut the engine off I climed out and opened the hood and saw water in the intake. How bad up crappy creek am I?

Quote Originally Posted by xusarmy View Post
    Ok I went into a shallow river around and got pinned against ice and while trying to get out of the river water got into the large intake ontop the engine enough to start making the engine sputter... I shut it off as soon as I new water was in the engine but I might have been to late it started to lose power before I turned the key. But at no point did the entire engine go under water or I. Completely sink the argo. I'm not a mechanic but I'm a quick learner and I m familiar with atv engines and general maintence on trucks i just don't want to ruin the engine
    Pull the plugs, crank her over, if no water sprays out the SP hole, drip a little 2 stroke oil in the cylinders, put the plugs back in, drain the Carb Float Bowl and fire it up. Let it run for a minute, shut it down and check your engine Dipstick for water.......... I doubt you will see any. Fire it up again and go have fun.

RD

Rock doctor, thank you very much ill try first thing in the am and let you know how it goes

Is there an oil filter on this engine and if so where is it ?

there wasn't one on my 87 8x8. but i added one when i rebuilt it. if there is one it would be on the front lower leftside of the motor sitting in the machine. i bought standard oil filter adapter for the m18, so i had to trim some sheet metal. u can also a buy a remote oil filter system for it, but it is more costly.

Ingesting Water

in this thread [Changing Fluids in Argo Engine] xusarmy has a situation in which his Argo takes on water through the intake.

So what do folks think about this approach to xusarmy's situation:

I think that if a little water got into the intake I would have either opened the throttle and/or choked it a little (to enrichen) to hopefully work the water through. Good idea?

If you say shut it down immediately: As a pilot I am aware that there are circumstances where a choice is made to save the airplane or save the souls, Does circumstance make your answer situational?

<At one point I had a bit of discussion differentiating diesel/gasoline/racing engines but after writing the above question became aware that this is just another"situation".>
    Last edited by Mike; 02-15-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic. No need to discuss the same thing in two locations

I suggested draining the bowl because if water got in the bowl vent then you will have to work it out of the carburetor and through the engine before the engine would start - and that can take FOREVER and a battery or two. To be honest, I would probably hit the starter first to see how lazy I could be. Okay, and maybe a shot or two of starter fluid with fingers crossed. I second the fuel drying additive.

Hey, I'm gonna start a thread here.

I've tried two different bolts I thought were oil drain plugs but no oil came out? Where is the oil drain plug at? also where is the drain on the bowl ? I don't see and screws low on the bowl ?thanks again guys

john I pulled the plugs and turned the key and no water came out but the oil is milky so I'm trying to find the oil drain plug or bolt but none of the 10mm bolts I pulled let any oil out..

The oil drain plug uses an allen wrench. when sitting in the machine, it is located on the lower left hand side of the motor, below the primary motor clutch. They are talking about the float bowl on the carb. you will have to take the carb off the engine to take the float bowl off. if you go to the kohlers website (kohlerengines.com/), you can download the service manual for the M18. it will show you everything about engine.

+ Reply to Thread