Changing Fluids in Argo Engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing Fluids in Argo Engine

Well I think I found the bolt to drain the oil but I can just barely squeeze my arm in there its the lowest bolt on the right side of the engine are the pumps you guys using just a rubber tube you stick in the dipstick hole to suck out?

if you take out the drivers floorboard, then the firewall (4 bolts) then you can to the oil plug from underneath the clutch system(belt). it will open up alot of room. this is how i do it.

Hey man, I saw your question in the other thread and see you are getting answers here so I'll leave that other thread to it's own question.

I don't know your engine specifically, but yes, I suck the oil up the dipstick tube. The extractor tube is either (I have both) a flexible metal rubber coated tube or a stiff plastic tube. Where are you located? If near me I would lend it to you but based on your description of having ice in a river I know you are nowhere near me.

Some carburetors have a drain which would make this easy. One of the tractors I used to deal with did not so I would remove the carburetor and hold it upside down and let everything drain through the vent holes. Do what newargoowner says and download the service manual - you ask enough questions and poke around in there enough that you will use it and someday be one of our M18 experts!

Quote Originally Posted by newargoowner View Post
    if you take out the drivers floorboard, then the firewall (4 bolts) then you can to the oil plug from underneath the clutch system(belt). it will open up alot of room. this is how i do it.
    There we go! I would take the belt off - it's easy - it would get it out of the way. newargoowner didn't mention it so I thought I would.

Thanks a lot every one ill get started and let you know how it goes

I have the panels off and have access to the oil plug what size allen wrench is needed the largest I have 1/4 and its to small

Well I've made progress I changed the oil and started it up and it ran for about 2 minutes then died and won't start. I didn't do anything with the carb but I know its getting fuel any ideas

Also a little water came out exhaust, I have the tranny draining but its coming slowly.. should I take off the carb and empty it?

Maybe use some starter fluid to get it running and try and keep it running until it gets hot and burns off left over water? Sorry for multiple posts I'm thinking
    Last edited by Mike; 02-15-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: merged five consecutive posts. You can edit your original thread instead of posting multiple times in a row

Quote Originally Posted by xusarmy View Post
    Maybe use some starter fluid to get it running and try and keep it running until it gets hot and burns off left over water? Sorry for multiple posts I'm thinking
    That's a good way to blow the heads clean off it...
    Thomas

94 MAX IV, 16 Vanguard, Aqua Torques, 1 1/4" wheel spacers

Anything to help troubleshoot this or just condesending comments towards someone trying to figure this out? I'm no mechanic but ill learn as I go with good advice and a little help thanks

maybe it sucked up some trash and has the main jet restricked, i would make sure you have spark on both spark plugs if so pull carb and clean. its a simple carb to pull and clean

take off the air cleaner. disconnect the throttle cable, choke cable and fuel line from the carb. unbolt (2 nuts) carb from intake manifold. unscrew the float bowl from the bottom of carb. use can of carb cleaner and cleanout the carb. while the carb is off, pull the spark plugs and hit the starter a few times. check the oil for more water. you might want to change the oil a couple of times once you get it running and warmed up to temp.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Spin it a few rounds then pull the plug and check to see if there is water on it, while it's out check to see if you are getting good spark. Sometimes wetting a hot plug will kill it(the plug). If you think you have water on the plug your best bet is to get the carb off it and make sure there is no water in there, it only takes a few drops to cause a problem. Let us know what happens and we can go from there. The starter fluid might get it to fire, and isn't as risky as some folks think, used it quite a bit on occasion, the thing to keep in mind is not to soak the air cleaner until it's wet. I think the blown head thing is more of an urban legend someone heard it from someone else, the story is retold and the next thing you know, 2 drops of starter fluid has the same explosive potential as 2 pints of nitro glycerin. Just a very short burst into the carb will let you know if you have a fuel issue, but since you've already stated that you know you're getting fuel then you need to look into what other issues you are having. My guess is spark or wet gas or both. Let us know what you find...
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Thank you for all the helpful replies, so here's where I am so far since taking water in the intake I have changed the oil because it was milky, pulled transmission oil plug and a half gallon of water came out along with slow moving thick peanut butter colored gear oil ozooing out, replaced the spark plugs then fired it up it ran for 2 minutes then died I suspect there was water in fuel. When I turn the key it turns over but won't run also I checked oil level after it ran for 2 minutes and it was full but oil was milky again so ill change it again. Ill add tranny oil and change engine oil again along with removing carb and cleaning. How can I flush the fuel lines and drain the tank then start with all fresh fuel?

+ Reply to Thread