MAX II 16hp Slow Cranking

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MAX II 16hp Slow Cranking

MAX II 16hp Slow Cranking

I am planning to take the MAX ice fishing this weekend and also install a winch on the front. I had a slow start issue last month last time I had it out that is confusing me and I'd like to fix it this weekend as well

When I turned the key to crank I got zero response...Then a few turns later the engine slowly started to come to life and it turned over. It was so slow that I did not even think it would turn over but it did. Did briggs or RI build these with too small of a starter to handle cold weather starts?

Any insight would be great since I will be running it all this weekend and don't want to have issues once I am on the ice

The cold weather does very bad things to engines and batteries. It turns the motor oil to syrup, and makes the motor a whole bunch harder to turn over. The cold also zaps the chemical energy in the battery, often cutting it's cranking amps in half. In short, motor cranks harder with much less cranking power= pull starting or walking home.

You might try taking the battery in and having it tested....it is probably bad or borderline.

In Michigan out annoying the neighbors in something that has a motor in it!
    Are you running synthetic oil?
    10 or 20° is COLD and Jim's right, the oil gets like syrup.
    The trouble with retirement is.... I never get a day off !!!!

Thanks guys, I will run through the basics again when I get up to the lake this weekend. I'll also fill the crankcase with synthetic 5W30 as well. I believe I have conventional 5W30 in there now

A jump box can be a good investment as well. It could keep you from a long walk back to the truck.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Had the same problem with a mower I delivered today, first try nothing second nothing third click,fourth more clicks fifth new battery.

if you havent adjusted the valves latley you may also want to check them. the cam has a decompressor lobe that decompresss the engine on start up. if the valves are out of adjustment it can act like a weak starter or battery.

terrapin, I had a similar issue on my max, new battery w/ full charge in cold or warm weather. cleaned battery posts , same thing. I decided to take the starter off & appart.the ground in those starters are sandwiched between the 2 long bolts that hold the case together. if you dont have a good ground to the case of the starter from the 2 ground brushes, the amprege from the battery will take out 1 of the brushes . then when you go to start the engine it will crank slow & labored. after rebuilding mine it cranks like no tommorow warm or cold. also check your fuse in the charging system. might be blown causing slow cranking due to low battery voltage. I'm assuming the 16hp engine you have is a oh160 tecumseh. hope this helps, radar

+ Reply to Thread