11" Argo tracks on a Max II without extenders or bearing cages?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 11" Argo tracks on a Max II without extenders or bearing cages?

11" Argo tracks on a Max II without extenders or bearing cages?

Spoke to an Argo guy recently who told me that if I put 21' tires on my 1999 Max II that i can run Argo tracks without any other modification, the tracks would be 11" wide & not hit the chassis, not need bearing cages, or wheel extenders?? Is this myth or fact?? Figured i'd put it out there to other Max'ers that might be in the know... Would like a track kit very much but dont have the technical knowhow to do the modification..
    Any input would help!, also need a good source for used 21' Max tires... supposedly the tires will fit on Argo rims????

I don't know anything about Max's, but aren't Argo Standard Tracks 13" or 14" wide?

RD

Quote Originally Posted by SumpCommander View Post
    Spoke to an Argo guy recently who told me that if I put 21' tires on my 1999 Max II that i can run Argo tracks without any other modification, the tracks would be 11" wide & not hit the chassis, not need bearing cages, or wheel extenders?? Is this myth or fact?? Figured i'd put it out there to other Max'ers that might be in the know... Would like a track kit very much but dont have the technical knowhow to do the modification..
    Any input would help!, also need a good source for used 21' Max tires... supposedly the tires will fit on Argo rims????
    I highly doubt that's possible. Even the early rubber belted Recreatives Max factory tracks (which were very narrow and were mounted over 21" tires) required wheel spacers. Even if they did fit (which I'm almost positive they wont), I'm sure they'd rub through the lower body after just a short amount of driving.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I think the bearing cages are pretty important on a Max for running tracks,though people do it without them. I am only aware of Argo tracks as narrow as 13" and my 15" with 5" extenders come within about 2" from the tub.

The standard Argo plastic track is 13 inches wide, the spacer of some sort may be needed though the track should not be any more than 2 inches if that wider than the tire. you would probably need to run the 21's by carlisle or nankang not the rawhide's on a 7 inch rim due to the inside contour of the tracks.
    Course JP had turfs on his Attex that looked good so something like a 20x10x8 off a mower should work too. That would also help with any clearance issues.

Bearing cages were probably a big deal on the earlier hollow axles with the bushings, though with yours being a 99 you should have the Argo Style axles with the inner bearings, larger outer bearings and safety bolt so you may be ok.

You know, it might actually be the 13" tracks and I misheard him.. He told me to measure the distance from inner edge of tire to tub & find out the gap. I trailer the max & it's just the right size for trailering, any wider wouldn't work.. I think there's got to be a way to run some kind of tracks without the other modifications at least I hope lol. Anyone ever hear of a tracked max without the spacers? Thanks for all the great responses.

I ran the Max rubber belted track on my 93 Max. They did come with a wheel spacer. I never ran them. I did not run bearing cages either. I ran them for five winters. Not running them now as I have upgraded to the adair Max ll kit. The rubber belted Max track was 13". I hope this helps. I ran 21" rawhides. I also have hollow axles.I am not saying that you should run my set up. Call Tim at adair Argo. He has wheel spacers or get some offset rims. As I said before, I now run the Max kit by adair. The are a great setup. I plow many driveways and I have a blast. Best upgrade that I ever did.
    Last edited by tattooman; 02-24-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: additional text

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Course JP had turfs on his Attex that looked good so something like a 20x10x8 off a mower should work too. That would also help with any clearance issues.
    On my Attex I'm running 18x9.5x8 turf tires on 8"x7" wheels with 2.5" spacers and there is plenty of clearance and the tires fit in the tracks very nicely. I ran them all Winter without any issues at all. This tire size is the factory original size that Attex offered from the factory on the machines with tracks.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread