Replacing Brake Pads Question??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing Brake Pads Question??

Replacing Brake Pads Question??

I have an 04 Argo Bigfoot and am going to replace the brake pads.

The argo service manual shows that you have to remove the brake calipers from the transmission housing in order to change the pads.

Is this really necessary?

(EDIT...figured it out..didn't notice that the pads are actually in the back of the caliper so you have to remove the whole caliper)

I am also replacing the brake fluid which looks straight forward..any tips I should be aware off?

Thanks for the help!
    -----------
    oh
    Last edited by srfnson; 02-25-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Brake fluid should be DOT 5 on your Bigfoot. Check the master cylinder cap to be sure. Remember DOT 5 is not compatible with the more common DOT 3.
    On the newer models, Frontier and Avenger, the calipers look the same but don't have to be removed to change pads. Just remove two pins on each and the pads slide out, pry pistons open with fluid cap removed, and install new pads.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Got it all done last night... Quite simple and changed my idler chains at the same time.

One thing I came up with is to use a piece of rubber tubing on the brake bleed valve to assist with draining the fluid into a collection container.

+ Reply to Thread