My first Hustler!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: My first Hustler!

Quote Originally Posted by Dw89xj View Post
    I bought 2 inch freeze plugs just for this, then I can make different inserts and easily change them out with just a couple set screws or allen head bolts.
    Frost plugs work awesome. Drill holes in them to get the sound and back pressure you need or are you doing different sized exhaust pipe tapered to fit the plugs? Either way works. Or a combination of both? I've seen so many people in the past who burnt out engines from not having enough back pressure on cars, trucks, quads, dirt bikes, etc start smoking and, or burning out exhaust valves. The right amount you'll still have great power, smooth throttle, good fuel mileage, and my personal favourite is a long lasting, low maintenance engine. I can tell that you have this figured out. I have my argo to the point where you hardly hear the engine running and have it using a bit less fuel, with no loss of power. The trans is louder than the engine now. Just have to get a small video soon and post it once I finish the tweeks. Each one I do makes the smile per mile larger.

Quote Originally Posted by BF6X6 View Post
    Frost plugs work awesome. Drill holes in them to get the sound and back pressure you need or are you doing different sized exhaust pipe tapered to fit the plugs? Either way works. Or a combination of both? I've seen so many people in the past who burnt out engines from not having enough back pressure on cars, trucks, quads, dirt bikes, etc start smoking and, or burning out exhaust valves. The right amount you'll still have great power, smooth throttle, good fuel mileage, and my personal favourite is a long lasting, low maintenance engine. I can tell that you have this figured out. I have my argo to the point where you hardly hear the engine running and have it using a bit less fuel, with no loss of power. The trans is louder than the engine now. Just have to get a small video soon and post it once I finish the tweeks. Each one I do makes the smile per mile larger.
    I will be trying out the different sizes of pipe and different sizes of holes til I get where I want. I will be using the freeze plug as an end cap so to speak.i can't wait to get some video up. My first video is probably going to be uncorked for cam break in, my neighbors are going to love me for that. As far as back pressure I should be good. I started with an 1⅛" header kit then bought some 1¼ and 1⅜ bends into a 2¾-2 reducer for a collector. When I bought my cam the guys at lakota recommend 1⅛ exhaust since it's a pretty mild build.
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 03-15-2021 at 04:55 AM.
    DanW

I had to cut my front pipe and rework it, I didn't like how close it was to my backseat, all sealed and welded now. Some high temp black and it doesn't look bad to me. Has me thinking I'm going to replace my blue breather hose for a black hose. It doesn't affect anything I guess, but, no sense in doing all this work and not have it exactly how I want it. A little wire loom went a long way in tidying things up in the tub rather than just having wires ziptied. So close I can almost hear my land lady giving me hell already.
    Attached Images
    DanW

Looks good Dan.
    Can't wait to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by mfenmor View Post
    Looks good Dan.
    Can't wait to hear it.
    The land lady or the hustler, lol🤣🤣
    DanW

Quote Originally Posted by Dw89xj View Post
    The land lady or the hustler, lol🤣🤣
    Well...........

Camshaft finally broke in sounds mean, I can't post video here but there will be video on YouTube, if it lets me, my phone's been giving me trouble with videos, a couple members have the video, they can share their opinions if they like. Now it's finally the nitty gritty, bolt top down, new gas tank, control panel for key and switches, mount seat and wer riding baby! Don't forget to look for the first start in my channel, it wasn't the first try, it was about the third or fourth, I had to redo my pulse line and had to disconnect my oil pressure kill wire as it wasn't building enough off the starter to let the coils fire. Not sure if I will just run a gauge up front and forget the safety or extend it with a momentary button up front for starting, either way I'm not real concerned the oil pressure is great on the gauge.
    DanW

Finally a shake down run, t20 has to come back out, the relined bands are too long or stretched, causing it to take extra effort to drive it than it should, the plungers stick out too far, I should've know better but I guess I'm learning. Now I know. So one more transmission rebuild I might actually be in the woods for pa rifle, keeping fingers crossed. Funding got tight with the remodel of the new place. Oh well we will make things happen.
    DanW

Well it's been a long learning experience and I've met alot of awesome folks, but I'm selling out. Everything I have hustler is going. Sorry guys, I hate to be a quitter, but personal issues have brought this journey to an end. I'm just going to take it for what it is and enjoy the little things with my wife. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way. God bless you guys. Take care.
    DanW

Hey Dan, don't feel like a "quitter", I've had to throttle down my time building/maintaining these machines also. More time with the Wife is always a good thing, been doing quite a bit more of that lately myself.
    Best wishes!

+ Reply to Thread