My first Hustler!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Hustler!

hey duck...that is going to be a great machine when your done . what is the motor and condition of it ? johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    hey duck...that is going to be a great machine when your done . what is the motor and condition of it ? johnboy va.
    Johnboy, it's a 18hp Briggs opposed twin 694cc. I bought it from duck. It's in pretty decent shape, he already did the hard stuff I just gotta put it all back together. Trans needs rebuilt or replaced, frame needs finished, axles and sprockets addressed, chains, and all bolted together, plus some personal touches.
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 05-09-2020 at 08:35 PM.
    DanW

DW I think the question of increasing to #60 chain depends on how you drive, what terrain and what work you might do with it. If you are going to drive it like you stole it then you may as well as well go with #60 since you will have all new sprockets with the axle size increase.

IF you do go with #60, pay attention to the sprocket diameter. The 980 has little clearance between the tub and chain, so don't go with a larger diameter sprocket. Don't rely on the number of teeth for comparison.

It won't get beat constantly but it will see it's share of spirited driving, the majority of the time I'd like to think I will run it like a sane person because I will be using it to hunt and fish with but I gotta depend on it too since I'm paraplegic. It will also see yard work duties, plow snow possibly pull a tiller or garden plow.
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 05-09-2020 at 09:51 PM.
    DanW

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    DW I think the question of increasing to #60 chain depends on how you drive, what terrain and what work you might do with it. If you are going to drive it like you stole it then you may as well as well go with #60 since you will have all new sprockets with the axle size increase.

IF you do go with #60, pay attention to the sprocket diameter. The 980 has little clearance between the tub and chain, so don't go with a larger diameter sprocket. Don't rely on the number of teeth for comparison.
    So would I be right in thinking the sprockets size for the axles doesn't really matter my gearing would be between the t20 and pizza pan sprockets? I don't really need to go over 25mph so I don't wanna give up much of my low end, but the tooth count would be less to fit in the same area so I'm going to pick up a little top end but hopefully it's not too bad on my low end
    DanW

After talking t20s with Matt at mudoxx I'm just going tofix what I have instead of sourcing out another transmission. I had though brand new would be the way to go but Matt talked me out of it, great guy and really honest and up front. I will gladly buy parts from just based on his willingness to help me out and give his opinion on how he would go about doing what I'm doing. That will also save me some coin on sprockets when I build axles. If staying with #50 causes any issues it won't be hard to switch my pizza pans and output sprockets later. We shall see.
    DanW

DW,

Do you know what parts you need yet? I have an old parts t20 and may be able to help some. It has a lot of rust damage though.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    DW,

Do you know what parts you need yet? I have an old parts t20 and may be able to help some. It has a lot of rust damage though.
    I will report back in a few hours I keep getting thrown off track in getting this transmission layed out messing with my garden beds. I know one 18 tooth drum with the gear inside and 3 planet gears.
    DanW

Quote Originally Posted by Dw89xj View Post
    Also would going up to #60 chain be worth the expense or is #50 good enough?
    A good quality #50 chain is more than enough for a 980, especially if you're running the opposed Briggs in it. Not a bad engine at all, but you'd be hard pressed to create a situation where you're going to overstress a chain. Watch some videos of Racerone3 being silly in his 980. His Briggs twin is probably putting out around 35-40hp in the low 4K rpm and I'm not sure if he's snapped a chain that was in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    A good quality #50 chain is more than enough for a 980, especially if you're running the opposed Briggs in it. Not a bad engine at all, but you'd be hard pressed to create a situation where you're going to overstress a chain. Watch some videos of Racerone3 being silly in his 980. His Briggs twin is probably putting out around 35-40hp in the low 4K rpm and I'm not sure if he's snapped a chain that was in good shape.
    This is great news for my pocket and married life lol, thank you.

Now for the transmission, the only parts that seem suspect are the three broken planets and one drum and these output sprockets seem worn funny to me but I will let the pros have a gander and take advice from whomever is willing. Thank you guys again.

I guess we still can't post pictures so I guess you will just have to take my word for it
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread