Another ST/300/D build. First timer

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another ST/300/D build. First timer

Another ST/300/D build. First timer

I just got my attex home and I am starting to dig into it. I plan on restoring it to as original condition as I can get. I am going to have a lot of questions, and the first one is.....I started removing the axle's and everything is coming apart fairly easy. Where the axle meets the bearing on the frame, are those small screws that hold the axle or do I remove those with a punch? Thanks.

I think you're referring to the small set screw with the allen head, correct? If so, they are to be unscrewed, if possible. They can often be rusty and it's best to soak them with some penetrating oil to help free them. There might be a second hole (non threaded) on the bearing collars.......that's where you put a punch and hit them counter clockwise. These are eccentric locking collars and they hold the axle onto the bearing and keep it from sliding out. Hold the axle in a fixed position and give those collars a few good wacks. It sounds like you've had good luck so far with everything coming apart easily and not having to cut or torch anything.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Funny you say that JP, I had two axles fall out, now, the other four are giving me trouble. Thanks for the reply, If I need new axles who sells them? I know buffalo bearing sells some things for it.

Buffalo Bearing i the best source for bearings and the axles are just round 1" pieces of steel cut to length with holes drilled for the sprocket tubes and hubs. They can easily be made. Just get some solid 1" 4130 Chromoly and make your own. It's cheap and easy to do and the axles will be strong and last a very long time.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    It's cheap and easy to do and the axles will be strong and last a very long time.
    Or until you really hit something hard with that wheel.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Or until you really hit something hard with that wheel.
    That'll happen sometimes. Many of us have done it a time or two.

Well, I worked on the atv all day yesterday and two axles came out, the other four are putting up a fight. I can't even get the pins out of them, I don't have a torch, only the small propane torches. So it takes longer than usual to heat them up, I have already used up a can of PB Blaster, if anyone knows of a stronger penetrant please let me know. I will try today, then major cutting. Is there any place that is preferred to hack away on the axle, I assume I will have to get the sprockets pressed off. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

I just started to work on the Attex again. Only one axle came out, the others, not even close. The outer bearing, the aluminum part behind the, that's what I assume it's called, can I remove that with my puller before I cut the axles? Pictures to come.

Well, I have been working on the 300 for the last three weeks. I thought I would add pictures. For all of you Attex historians, the picture in the back of the truck is in front of the old Attex factory on Rt. 8, William Flynn Highway. Where I was parked used to be a body shop that I worked at in the late 70's. I grew up not far from there, I remember Attex's all over the place as a kid. 2013-02-16_10-54-31_207.jpg2013-02-16_10-54-39_394.jpg2013-02-16_10-41-15_625.jpg2013-02-16_10-54-18_585.jpg2013-02-16_10-54-31_207.jpg2013-02-16_10-54-39_394.jpg

Here is what it looks like now, a lot of work for me in 8 months. My acetone budget is up there. I will have a bunch of questions now that I am in the home stretch. This week I will be researching the part numbers for the bearings, I want to upgrade to bigger hubs as well. Today I am going to attempt to fire up the engine, I want to do the carb upgrade to a Mikuni. I never realized how much acetone I had to use, but I still have a few more spots to clean up.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread