Borg Warner T-20 rebuild questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Borg Warner T-20 rebuild questions

Borg Warner T-20 rebuild questions

Ok so I mounted the engine in my hustler just to find two of my bands were worn out. I checked with one source and they are saying $70 per band with exchange? Does this sound right? At that cost I think it would be cheaper to buy a used trans and have it shipped?

You can do better than $70 a band. Search the forum, there are a few threads on the matter.

FYI, unless you find somebody who has no idea of their value, don't expect to pay less than $400 to $500 for a used T-20.
    Banned

My psychic powers tell me you called Richards Relics. Those prices sound right for him. There are several threads that discuss band relining. I believe it costs about $35/band to do. FYI Richard Clark just wants your money. He is in the hobby purely for profit and should only be used as a last resort if ever. AATVs do not cost as much as an exotic sports car to maintain or repair, unless you buy your parts from him.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    My psychic powers tell me you called Richards Relics. Those prices sound right for him. There are several threads that discuss band relining. I believe it costs about $35/band to do. FYI Richard Clark just wants your money. He is in the hobby purely for profit and should only be used as a last resort if ever. AATVs do not cost as much as an exotic sports car to maintain or repair, unless you buy your parts from him.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. You must have called Route6x6/Richard Clark. Avoid him at all costs or you'll go broke trying to maintain or build your AATV. Transmission Crafters is the way to go. They're great to deal with and charge half of what Clark does.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Bout how much are Bands running these days at RI, I'm sure I have broke one maybe two, and will need to do a rebuild along with relining once I get back.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

Last I heard, $80 or $90 each.
    Banned

thanks guys so re-lining is the way to go then? and your psychic ability was spot on. I also messed up and put gear oil in the case, going to drain and flush for atf.

Yep, have them relined by Transmission Crafters and avoid Richard Clark and you'll be good. And make sure you clean the cases out well, you don't want any gear oil in there at all. 1 quart of ATF is what it calls for in the T-20. Good luck with it and let us know if there's anything else we can help you along with.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I have been reading everything I can on the t-20. I wish I had done this before I took it apart the first time. Something is bugging me about the left side both top and bottom being so loose?? I can't see both bands becoming worn out? It was that loose before I took it apart. And the right side both the top and bottom plungers barely come out of the case before becoming tight? Is it possible that the kid who took it apart before me, somehow managed to get it together wrong? also the right side will only engage if i lightly hit the lever but not at full stroke? right side plungers only come out a 1/4 to 1/2 inch from flush where left side plungers come out almost a full inch but seem to have no restriction ?

+ Reply to Thread