True all wheel drive?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: True all wheel drive?

I changed my pads 2 times but there are 650hrs on my avenger. I think it's putty good
    Jack

that would be a very good idea, it would only work with an air locker though and no other type unless it was cable operated, best idea would be an air locker the idea behind an air locker is it has big side gears and will still differentiate when not locked
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooo guy View Post
    Do you think ODG designed the trans to be limited slip for a reason?
    Has anyone tried installing an air locker or some way of locking the trans?
    It would be good until you needed to turn if it was a switch on the dash it would be a great option.
    BY THE WAY A T-20 IS THE BEST..

Some more reading for folks that are interested in how these things work and why designers might choose one system over the other.

diffs.jpg diffs2.jpg diffs3.jpg

This one leaves out separate drives per side which leaves out the Mudd-Ox design. (But nobody has mentioned that so far)

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooo guy View Post
    Do you think ODG designed the trans to be limited slip for a reason?
    They didn't design it, but they did choose it for a reason.
    [edit] Whoops, you say limited slip here but I read (assuming you meant) open. Anyway, my answer is about the design they did use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    Argos work with brake pads. The Max works with brake bands bathed in oil. Is this correct? It seems as though a T-20 lasts longer this way. Am I understanding this correctly?
    There is a lot to brake system design. All friction brake systems turn motion into heat that has to be dissipated somehow. Disc brake systems make heat even in non-braking mode because the pads make contact with the rotor 100% of the time. Car brake system designers go to length to make sure there is proper air flow over the system for cooling. The Argo has the rotors tucked out of any natural air flow so it needs a fan. The military will often choose a dry system (for clutches too sometimes) because maintenance is much easier; you don't have to open a wet case to replace consumables.

Lasts longer? I don't know about that. In the transmissions forum you'll see a few threads of folks breaking open an Argo transmission (both kinds) to fix and a bunch of folks opening up T-20 mostly to replace friction material. The transmissions both seem pretty tough to me. The Admiral is currently under proven and time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    ... what's the maintenance interval on the different Argo brake systems?
    Nothing but speculation here but I would expect better than California stop and go traffic but worse than highway sort of mileage. You'll have to convert that to Argo hours.
    Last edited by JohnF; 03-15-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Well, sorta. There's a much greater thickness of brake material on the Argo break pads, but the T-20 accomplishes breaking with greater surface area instead of thickness. As far as comparing the two to see what brake design lasts longer, I think that'd be a cool test. To make it fair, you'd need the two transmissions in identical machines with the same sort of use. I'm curious to know how often Argo owners replace brake pads. There are tons of threads about replacing T-20 bands and getting them relined, but what's the maintenance interval on the different Argo brake systems?
    I've changed the brakes 2 times in the last 6 yrs on my Conquest. Second time was last Fall.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by newargoowner View Post
    The argo trans. is like an open diff axle. you have to feather (apply) the left or right brakes to get power what side that has the traction in very low traction situations like snow drifts or very deep mud holes. unlike the trans(t20) in a max, that is true all wheel drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyrider View Post
    Thanks for the videos and I really appreciate the comments - Practice makes perfect- Lets all just have fun with what we have LOL
    There was a lot of brake feathering going on here

RD

+ Reply to Thread