New Adair 18.5 inch belted snow and ice tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Adair 18.5 inch belted snow and ice tracks

Hilhilti..Hope you can post some video of your tracks in the snow! Where in Maine are you? curious who does the service on your machine...Bill

hey bigbuck, I am in the process of fitting a hard top fiberglass cab to it right now, I hope to finish today, or tomorrow. I hope the snow hangs in there until saturday! I managed to put a couple hours on the machine sunday afternoon, the trails were froze solid and very icy. the tracks worked well. maybe I'll have a video sunday. i live in windham were are you? I will be doing my own service. steve

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Full length under the fenders, I believe I went with a 3" wide strip (originally intended to line up over the cleats on my Supertracks). Bolted through the fenders with Counter Sunk 1/4" bolts. The only nasty spot is under the Air Intake Shroud. Also be careful that you don't drill up into the seat frame...... Don't ask
    As for the Gold Diggers..... I had them, so I used them. I don't know a lot about studs, I just put them on and tried them.
    Oh, sorry, the strip is 1/4 thick not 1/8 thick. I will go edit that post.

RD
    Thanks Doc,
    Going to see Tim next week for a couple days,setting up my new 2013 HDI. This will be a great time to let "him" drill into the fenders on a new rig.Still on the fence with the stud setup so close to spring,on the flipside,it would be great to test this thing with the right stud setup. Going to set up the new unit just like my old 2011, is there anything that you would,add,change or delete, to make the ultimate mud/snow machine? I can't go out with the tracks/snow belted extentions,as it will not fit on my trailer. Being at Tims,I will have anything, and everything at my disposal,so I would like to take advantage of this,and any feedback from you or anybody else would be much appreciated.

Hey Steve..Looking forward to your videos and pics of your hardtop..I was looking forward to more snow on the ground here in the Bangor area,(Brewer) but oh well, still had a great time with my machine..With no dealers in the area I guess I will be trying to do my own service as well. Changing the fluids are no problem but for everything else I will be asking the guys who know for help.. (wish I had a Doc in my neighborhood)
    Foxvalley...Cant wait for updates on ideas in creating the ultimate snow machine!! Bill

I have about 7 hours of testing on Tims new belted track,with the belted long cleat kit attached,and also with the short cleat kit also attached in between the long cleats.
    So far,this is the most aggressive track system that I have tested,and should do anything that any other track can do,and more.I have just made about 15 video clips,of this track system in action, and the most impresseve is the video of the argo walking out onto the ice in about 4' of water.I'm not sure if I was hitting bottom or not,but am comming close to walking out every time without touching bottom. I think with a second person with me,we can get it to walk out on the ice in deep water every time. This is something that has never been done with any other track system that I am aware of, in deep water.
    Talk is cheap,so let the video do the talking for me.I have yet to download to utube,but should have some clips today.
    edited argo walking out on the ice - YouTube
    http://youtu.be/l-_EcDbAzmA
    Last edited by foxvalley; 04-05-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Good video Doug...and love your log cabin in the background...every video of tracks claiming they can climb out of open water and up on to ice always seems to be filmed in a foot or so of water, which is still pretty impressive, but I don't think it supports the claims that others usually make...this video is still close to shore (where the ice is usually thin enough to break through) but judging from how dangerously low the front end is dipping into the water upon exit I would say it is probably the best attempt I have ever been able to watch on film...I usually look for signs of mud and water left on the ice after the machine comes out, and other than a few small clumps of mud that you picked up from the bank in front of you, the water looked very clean...this has been pretty consistent with our tests also, but our window of opportunity between thin solid ice that would support you until you fell through and almost no ice is literally just hours and we always seem to miss any really good opportunities to perform this test....we do run a lot on frozen rivers and creeks in the winter and there is a lot of open water and good ice to play on but it always seems to be open in the shallow areas and as you know thats extremely easy for our tracks and not even worth filming...great to see you able to do better tests and in deeper water...as your ice goes farther out, I'm interested to see additional tests...thanks for sharing what you've learned.

tim

Here is some more video of the belted tracks/cleat kits,in deep snow,here you go moosetalker.I had lots of fun cruising on top of the snow,and climbing all kinds of obstacles with these tracks.
    adair belted tracks in deep snow - YouTube

more video to come.
    Last edited by foxvalley; 04-05-2013 at 06:34 PM.

looked like fun. I'm guessing about a foot of firm, spring snow. You probably had enough width and floatation for deeper snow had you needed it though, I think. Did you have any problems with your u-channel shaped ice-cleats packing with snow?

I'd love to see more videos, they never get old. I look forward to seeing one where you are dead-floating in clean water. Your nose started out awfully high touching bottom at the beginning of the short reverse. The track seemed to have a decent grip up the "ramping" of the break-off. Nice job though.

Great videos!!!! I cant wait to install the same ice cleats on my 18 inch snowtrack!!! I really think that those are going to be the answer to what I need..unfortunatley, my snow is gone so I wont be able to try until next winter... I love the way you mounted your camera and plan on trying the same with a gopro..........man....I hope these next 9 months fly by!
    Last edited by bigbuck; 04-06-2013 at 05:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread