Briggs Vanguard 14/16HP & 18/20HP Engine Upgrades and Identification

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Briggs Vanguard 14/16HP & 18/20HP Engine Upgrades and Identification

Quote Originally Posted by wjs0311 View Post
    I assume the answer is yes but we all know what happens when you assume... Will 14 hp heads fit on a 18 and will they give better compression than stock?
    Yes and Yes

Briggs 805653S steel head gasket is about 0.20 thinner than the copper

Thanks, I'll be throwing the 14 heads on the 18 and picking up a 23hp cam and rev kit. Waiting to get the go ahead from the boss on a intake/carb setup.

Also I'm fabing up a adjustable motor mount plate for the hustler.

Is there a need to re-jet the carb after putting 16hp heads on a 18hp? Engine won't run unless it is choked. I soaked the carb overnight and blew it out and it still doesn't want to run without the choke.

Same jet, them carbs can be tricky to clean. gotta run small wire in the holes, had a few that never cleaned up right and swapped out a different one and it was fine

no vacuum leaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    Same jet, them carbs can be tricky to clean. gotta run small wire in the holes, had a few that never cleaned up right and swapped out a different one and it was fine

no vacuum leaks?
    I'll check for a leak tonight and if no leak then I'll take it off and run it through the sonic cleaner at work. It worked fine on the other engine but it had been sitting for a few weeks.

Maybe I'll tell my wife that I NEED a new carb so I can get the double barrel!

Hi would the carb# to convert a vanguard 14 hp to a 16 hp be # 845906 ?
    Thank you in advance for the help

Can anyone provide a part number of those small chamber cylinder heads? I've been watching eBay for awhile now and never see those. If it wasn't for the picture, I wouldn't believe they existed. Thanks.

Nubs,
    Is this what derates the 16hp down to a 14hp, can the restrictor be removed without issues? I've pulled the exhaust restrictors. 303447-0326/9?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-Strat...3D131229912003
    Last edited by ARGOJIM; 03-11-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Stupidity

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Yes, i like to just open them up and not remove them otherwise the linkage can operate funny sometimes.

I think the head on the left is what he's talkin' about, Briggs only made them for few yrs as far as i know and are hard to find. they use the old style rockers also, the head in the middle is common for the 14/16 both old and new new rocker mounting

+ Reply to Thread