Briggs Vanguard 14/16HP & 18/20HP Engine Upgrades and Identification

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Briggs Vanguard 14/16HP & 18/20HP Engine Upgrades and Identification

Thanks ,I'll cut that restrictor out.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks Nubs, My motor is a 16hp from 1994. I have the aluminum rocker arms. Do you know if my rockers would interchange to those small chamber heads on the left? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvv355 View Post
    Thanks Nubs, My motor is a 16hp from 1994. I have the aluminum rocker arms. Do you know if my rockers would interchange to those small chamber heads on the left? Thanks.
    Yes

Thanks again. As luck would have it I scored a set of small chamber heads off the bay for $50 shipped this morning. In case anyone is interested the heads have the code 1-A and 2-A in the spring seat area, the engine these heads came from is: Model 290777, Type 0107-01, Code 90021513.

Also I confirmed that 1-B, and 2-B are small chamber heads. From 290777 0107-01 89021811

1-C, 2-C, unknown.

1-D, and 2-D are larger chamber heads
    Last edited by ryanvv355; 03-13-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Hello Guys,
    I am a Newbie so please go easy on me LOL.
    I am here in OZ and have just got into Mower racing and in the process of freshening up a 35 Briggs.
    You guys have some awesome and helpful info here that will help me heaps thank you.
    With your above post Nubs I have got a silly question you have stated the bore and stroke of the 18/20HP (570cc) are 2.97/ 2.76 and the 23HP (627cc) has the same bore/stroke, do you know where briggs gets the extra cc's.
    Is it in the heads and if so do they run high compression pistons to allow for the larger squish area in the heads.
    Just curious if the 23HP heads would work on a 18HP and whether I would gain any power increases.
    Thanks Guys.

Ok, I’m working on my exhaust on the 16hp Vanguard, and am freeing up a lot of flow. My carb is surging, seafoam/high octane didn’t help. Since I’m opening up the exhaust, should I switch to an 18hp carb? Does it bolt right on? Also, how are people people putting cone filters on?

Also, this may sound dumb, but are the carbs for the vertical and horizontal shaft the same?

+ Reply to Thread