Newbie with a free Attex 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with a free Attex 6x6

Newbie with a free Attex 6x6

Hey everyone! Newbie to the world of 6x6's as of today! Got a free Attex 6x6, it will certainly need work but is all there. It has a 2 cylinder 2 stroke engine in it that i am almost definitely going to replace with one of my Yanmar 10hp diesel engines. I am still unsure of the model i have, it looks like a Super Chief but i dont know for sure. The front 4 tires are the one piece ones and all are flat, the rear tires are on rims so i am probably going to unbolt the rims and try to fab up a plate so i can put rims and new tires on the front 4. I also want to rig up a propeller set up for going a little faster in water. Let me know what you guys think, also anything i should know about this thing in particular. A manual would also be great in a PDF!
    Thanks!
    -Alex

IMG_20130331_120946.jpgIMG_20130331_120953.jpgIMG_20130331_121049.jpgIMG_20130331_121057.jpgIMG_20130331_121110.jpg

Alex,

You've got an Attex Superchief.....it looks to be a 1976 model. It's actually seems to be pretty complete and it's a great candidate for a restoration. First off, I (and many other 6X6World members) would very highly recommend that you DON'T cut, paint, or do any kind of permanent modification that can't be unbolted to this machine that will take away from its originality and it will kill any value to it. I'm also going to tell you that this is not the machine to put a jet pump on to increase your water speed. It would be way, way too difficult, there isn't sufficient space for it, and it would ruin the originality of the machine.

If you need parts for it, I happen to have an entire body for it, 6x6World member Amphibious Drew has a set of pretty much new 21" tires and wheels for sale, just like the 2 rear ones that are on your machine now) and some other stuff to help with the restoration. Where are you located?

Here is a PDF file for the manual for the Superchief, the Chaparral G50B engine, as well as a template to help you make the wheel adapters.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...e-adapter.html

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...r-manuals.html

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...0b-manual.html

Welcome to the site!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for the info! I was not planning on installing a jet pump or anything, more along the lines of a trolling motor setup or run a small hydro pump off the engine to a remote hydraulic motor with a prop. the only reason why i would want to do that is because i have seen them in the water and they seem really really slow but i wouldn't really know from personal experience. My plan for the engine is to pull the 2 stroke and mount a 10hp Yanmar diesel that is about the same size, not much will be modified to do it as the engine is similar in size to the current one. I am a firm believer in being as original as possible so usually when i modify things it is only in a way that can be completely undone if need be. I am located in Pennington NJ,

-Alex

Alex,

There are quite a few members in the NJ/PA/NY area so when you get it done, you'll certainly have folks to ride with. A trolling motor is a good idea......it'll most likely double your water speed from about 3mph to around 6mph I'm going to guess. 6 and 8 wheelers aren't really meant to be fast water machines, they just are used for crossing bodies of water, but the trolling motor will certainly help. Attex actually offered a factory outboard motor mount for small outboards. You could probably replicate one of those easily. The Yanmar swap will be pretty cool. There are a handful of folks out there that have swapped diesels in their machines with very successful results. To help offset the costs of your project, you could sell the 2 stroke Chaparral engine. Keep us updated on the progress and we'll try our best to help you out with any questions you might have.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Did that come from Don Menzel in Harbourton?

I'm jealous a free Attex Super Cheif. Looks like its all there, I'd keep it stock that 484cc 2 stoke will haul.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Did that come from Don Menzel in Harbourton?

No it did not, it came from a good friend of mine that had it sitting behind his shop for several years. I put a new alternator and air pump in his truck for him and told him not to pay me but instead give me that old Attex ha.

As for the engine, i actually have 2 original engines. I am all for keeping things as original as possible and nothing against 2 strokes but i dont need to go all that fast i just want something that will run no matter what. I want to make it as dependable as possible as i intend to take it to some of the most remote places i can find (In NJ at-least hahah).

Well good luck with it, there are still a few left over there as there was a local Attex and Scrambler dealer in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Well good luck with it, there are still a few left over there as there was a local Attex and Scrambler dealer in the 70's.
    Are any of the left overs for sale? I am always interested if its a good deal!

I was talking about the amount machines in your area, he's been out of business along time and believe he sold off his old inventory.

+ Reply to Thread