All-UHMW, All-Escargo Steel, and Escargo Steel/UHMW hybrid track test

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: All-UHMW, All-Escargo Steel, and Escargo Steel/UHMW hybrid track test

This is a short video to show how much traction my max has with AdAir argo tracks. I feel my machine is quite capable with this set up, I have run into nothing that makes me feel that i need kleets. this is just my experiance.

Some (many) conditions don't require concentrated "vehicle weight-driven" traction...directly under the tire, driving the cleat into the ground. But the conditions that have stopped me absolutely do. Unless you want to winch up the hill (always an option), a cleat that can make the most use of this the vehicle weight is needed. It will always bite more than a cleat or traction enhancer added outboard of the tire. Not to say that those devices don't help, because they absolutely do, especially when trying to get a "purchase" to climb up on an obstacle. Usually this means hitting it at an angle, and so these add-ons and winter-kits to help in that regard. An add-on winter kit can often-times make itself "taller" as the belting compresses and "folds-up" if large obstacles are hit off-center. But in certain conditions, you need an agressive cleat directly under your tire. And, they need to be frequent enough to really matter. Not just ice, but summer/fall conditions, and especially steep climbing or even moderate climbing if heavily loaded or towing a trailer. That's the difference. Driving around in summer or warm fall conditions with a light vehicle is easy. That's never stopped me before. But to state the obvious, when you do get stopped, that's it. If you don't have traction, it means winching up or finding an alternate route. Sometimes you cannot find an alternate route unless you're willing to spend a LOT of extra time and trailbraking to do so. I personally feel that the gear-reduction of this track design gives it "that much more" when it really counts. Sometimes in these conditions, you're right on the edge of your machine being able to do the job or not. In the case of an argo, I sure like the notion that instead of a "high" and "low" range, you instead essentially have the ability to run a "mid" and "granny" drive ratio while maintaining the full-floatation of a larger tire. I can't think of a single time that I needed my non-suspension 8x8 to "ever" need speeds greater than 8-10 mph. That's why they make polaris rangers for conditions that allow that kind of driving. But, I know there are different strokes for different folks. Hope that helps.

That max sounds like a beast tatooman...looks like it runs great! ...looks like you guys were having a lot of fun over the weekend... thanks for sharing the fun

tim

Quote Originally Posted by tattooman View Post

This is a short video to show how much traction my max has with AdAir argo tracks. I feel my machine is quite capable with this set up, I have run into nothing that makes me feel that i need kleets. this is just my experiance.

Thanks so much for posting this video. It's amazing how a set of Adair tracks will turn a very capable machine into an almost unstoppable machine. Each time that you drive your Max II now, it makes you look for places that you'd never think about going into when you were running tires.

Your machine definitely does a great job with that set up

thanks guys, my Max is 20 years old. I am much older but when I climb into the Buck truck, I am a kid again. Love this site. Always something to learn.

Tatooman

Are you running open straight pipes out of the back of your Max II? It sure sounds mean!

No. It is just a stock 93 no changes yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    great idea rodp...that would work really well especially with a thicker 1.5" grouser and would also allow you to occasionally replace the steel blade after it had been run down a hard surface road for a ways...similar to the thick metal ice cleats used on an argo factory track that get worn down and replaced every so often...this would also allow you to substitute the metal blade for a soft rubber blade if you wanted a quieter and stickier track on rock or paved surfaces...great idea and just for the record you get the credit ...lol :-)

tim

Never mind the credit, where's the royalties

Why not just stud the crosser on an adair belted track to compensate for the lack of traction on frozen ground, I would be curious to see how that would work!!

Rock

+ Reply to Thread