2002 Vanguard winch mount questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 Vanguard winch mount questions

2002 Vanguard winch mount questions

I just purchased and took possession of my first ever Argo- a 2002 Vanguard.

This site has been an incredible source of inspiration and information. I visited it often, as a lurker, long before I bought my Argo because I was confident I would someday own an Argo.

I’m still a number of weeks (perhaps a few months) from really being able to put this to use. My intended purposes are family outings, access to berry picking sites for my wife and moose for me during the fall season.

As with most of you the coming months (years?) will see me fiddle with it as I make it “mine.” The biggest immediate thing to be altered is I want to install a winch on the front. That’s the reason for this post.

I’ve looked at photos of commercial kits; I think perhaps this is something I can tackle myself, with the assistance of a friend who is a gifted welder.

Questions then:

Does anyone have good, quality photos of what their particular mount, particularly from the inside?

Does anyone have a self-fabricated mount system they’d care to share?

Is it possible (opinions and experience welcome) to attach an angle iron wrap to the front (such as what I see on Rock Doc’s machines) and attach a winch platform to that- would that be stable/strong enough?

I would welcome any and all winch thoughts, and yes I do spend time combing through the archives, both threads and photos. I guess I’m hoping by putting this out there and with mention about my specific machine perhaps something new will shake loose.

Thanks in advance. I am a complete beginner when it comes to Argos… so once in a while I may type something that sounds awfully half baked. Thanks also for your patience.

Have a great week.

Terry
    Attached Images

Terry I'm in Fairbanks and have a template for bottom mount of the front body brace. You can call after noon tomorrow Ill be back in AK then. 907/388/8582
    Last edited by msafi65; 04-08-2013 at 07:01 PM.

I would make sure to copy a design that ties the winch mount back into the frame. Mounting it only to a metal body band will allow it to flex too much.

I mounted my winch on the back of the Bazooo....thru the tub and connected to the frame.
    The winch needs to be solid with the frame and not flex the tub.

Terry go to this link and you can download the vanguard winch mount instructions and see the pictures and examples. Maybe this would help with making your own?

Argo Part 622-78 MOUNT ASSY,WINCH-(V2+RES+BF)
    Last edited by akranger72; 04-09-2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: spelling

msafi65- Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on that in the near future! Do you have any photos of what your set-up looks like?

Mike- I suspected as much but wanted to hear it from someone who knew for sure.

Bazoooguy- I enjoyed looking at your photos; I may have to give thought to taking a look at the back of the machine.

akranger- That link was quite helpful; I’m a visual sort so seeing pictures is always good.

Putting a winch on this thing is going to be priority number one. I’ll continue to research it and brainstorm possible ideas. Actual work on it is likely still a few weeks out. We’re still shedding the last of winter here, something that needs no explanation for msafi65 and akranger. Home for me is originally central KS and I know spring is well underway down there. Here, I went to work today to -5, clear and breezy; not sure what it’s like in Fairbanks or Delta right now but I’m guessing the flowers are still a ways off as well.

+ Reply to Thread