18 Hp. Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 18 Hp. Max IV

18 Hp. Max IV

I am going to look at a Max IV ,18 hp. with a set of factory tracks and 26" tires,21" tires. Machine has 100 hours on it,a 2000 model. No accessories except bearing cages and tracks,tires. It has a winch though installed after factory. My concern is: does anyone have any ideas on is 18 hp. power enough for tracks and roughly what are the opinions on what this machine should be worth assuming no signs of abuse or neglect? Any input would be appreciated.

18HP is going to be a little underpowered with tracks or the large tires. It will work but it will leave you wanting more if you get into some extreme conditions. I would question whether the year is correct or not. Many owners just say it's a 2000 without having any idea what year it was actually made. Look at the Max serial number thread and compare the serial number on this Max with those to get an idea of the actual year. If it truly is in great shape I would look at paying somewhere between $3000 - $4000 for the Max if it had the 26" tires only so add to that whatever the tracks are worth to you .

As Mike said, check the year by serial number. In 2000, Max just changed the body style which is easiest to recognize by the square headlights instead of the older round lights. The newer style also has the engine cover completely covering the engine instead of letting the air box stick through a hole, and the back seat has 3" more legroom which is the biggest improvement. A 2000 model will have a serial number right around 16200 or so.

The 18hp engine is "OK" for 26" tires but it is the minimum. Underpowered for factory tracks but it will get you there... slowly.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

It has a factory plow,not a big deal to me as I have one already with the Max II,I believe it probably is a 2000 or so as it has the square headlights but I will be getting the serial number as well,good idea. The hundred hours is definitely a guess as there is no hour meter. Max are extremely rare up here in Canada but when buying an advantage is you have little competition as most people don't actually seem to relate them to Argo. I have been hooked on Max ever since 08 when I bought the Max II. I really appreciate the advice Mike. I edited after posting Brandon and seeing your post,it does have the complete cover over the engine and the square headlights.

Here in the midwest states, an early 2000 model like you describe would bring $4200 to $4500 with just 26" tires. Factory tracks will add quite a bit, especially in Canada where you really need them, and that factory plow with winch costs nearly $2000 new.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Well I got out to see it . S/N 17104,near new 26" Titans (not sure if this was factory issue or a dealer assembly). Near new 21" rawhides,tracks in excellent condition,bearing cages,wheel extensions and support rails,the plow was some sort of a very heavy blade not wide enough to clear for track,nice enough blade definitely too heavy for the Max IV,I have a mint condition factory 78" blade and it definitely was no relation. The ugly.......LOL........no way of determining the hours but definitely not 100,if it was she spent some time outside though the running gear is workable but caked grease on the sides of the chains,while not really rusted inside it is filthy. asking price $6000 immediate reduction to $4500. It has a very light afterthought winch to lift the plow. I think it has potential alright and appears to suffer more from neglect than abuse and shows no otherwise damage. I think it would make a good machine tracks and 12 tires with negotiation and total tub clean and lube for about possibly $3500-4000.. I clean the inside of my Max II twice annually so this one was a bit of a "culture shock".Not sure if I am up to a thorough overhaul but she is "all there" and not damaged.

There are a lot of 18 hp MAX IV up here, was the largest engine with a pull start for years. Very popular in remote sites where battery might not make it from year to year. I aggree that with tracks its a bit underpowered but will get you there.if you can get a tacometer and set the governor up to 4100 rpm they do a lot better. With the briggs you need a long day running to burn a tank of fuel.They are very dependable and start well.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    There are a lot of 18 hp MAX IV up here, was the largest engine with a pull start for years. Very popular in remote sites where battery might not make it from year to year. I aggree that with tracks its a bit underpowered but will get you there.if you can get a tacometer and set the governor up to 4100 rpm they do a lot better. With the briggs you need a long day running to burn a tank of fuel.They are very dependable and start well.
    Very well put! Get a red driven clutch spring from Recreatives and your 18HP Max will do very well, and it will do even better with the tracks. The red driven clutch spring works great for these setups. I know 6X6World member Amphibious Drew has a 2000 Max IV with 26's and a red driven clutch spring and his machine does very well.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

JP,could you tell me more about the red spring vs. the green. On my Max II 23 hp. for example how would the red spring help.not really underpowered but the more the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    JP,could you tell me more about the red spring vs. the green. On my Max II 23 hp. for example how would the red spring help.not really underpowered but the more the merrier.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...ed-spring.html
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread