Abondoned crankcase vent and vacuum hose on 18 HP B&S,what should be done with these?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Abondoned crankcase vent and vacuum hose on 18 HP B&S,what should be done with these?

Abondoned crankcase vent and vacuum hose on 18 HP B&S,what should be done with these?

Hello everyone,

I've gone to a 2 barrel carb and x-2 air filter on my 97 Bigfoot. The old crankcase vent used to be directed to the single barrel carb throat...but I cant do that any more because of the type of air cleaner I am now using... what should I do with the breather tube? Leaving it open I've noticed some small oil droplets on my exhaust heat deflector.

I'm also going to an electric fuel pump....I'm planning on mounting a fuel pressure regulator where the old pulse pump is. What should I do with the vacuum hose that comes off the valve cover that used to connect to the pulse pump?

Thanks for any advice!

HI,
    The system u r talking about is called the PCV system .[2 types open and closed system ]. All machines and autos have used this since the 70s.
    In the case of a v8 air was drawn into engine from the air cleaner then a rubber hose into the valve cover .The other type is where the engine sourced air from the atmosphere via the mesh push in filler.This air travelled thru the engine and came out a PCV valve and was connected to the carby base .
    Prior to the seventies only a dump pipe was used .

The Briggs vanguards originally only use part of it .Connect a hose with a mesh push in plug and let hang [due to this being a engine breather the mesh prevents dirt entry ]
    Seal up where the fuel pump pulse line was connected .
    If you are going to an electric pump use the facet type . There are many that run 2-4 psi [no reg required ] Some of the Argo guys use them

tomo

Exactly what I needed to know...thank-you Tomo!

+ Reply to Thread