950 hustler chain popping

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 950 hustler chain popping

Question 950 hustler chain popping

I have a hustler 950 and when turning u can hear a popping like the chain is jumping or something.
    Last edited by Mike; 04-25-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: moved thread from Transmission forum to Hustler forum

You should perform a thorough inspection of your drive chains and sprockets. There's really limited number of culprits that could make this noise.

My first thought is that it's chain idler sprocket on the primary chain that's causing it. Does your 950 have the plastic rollers for chain adjusters on the chains driving the wheels? Since these can't really make a popping noise, it's likely either the primary chains right off of the T-20, or maybe a chain jumping on one of the axle sprockets. Jack up the machine so all six wheels are off the ground, and tighten all the chains. Rotate the tires by hand (or block the throttle and bungee the sticks forward if you're feeling adventurous) to see if you can duplicate the popping noise. Chances are, your chains might be worn enough that the roller is riding up on the next tooth of the sprocket and jumping back down. If this is the case, you might need to replace one or several chains, and maybe even a sprocket (or several....)

Check the sprockets on the T-20 to make sure they're not "shark finned" from a lot of wear. When the primary chains on the Hustlers start to wear, the idler sprockets have a TON of travel in them that let you adjust for a TON of wear in the chain (not really a good thing....). This let's you get quite a bit of wrap around the output sprocket on the T-20. If your T-20 sprockets are shark finned (cupped backwards in relation to the primary drive direction) they'll actually hold onto the chain instead of releasing it. Not good... 'Makes a lot of noise real fast and starts to destroy equipment right-quick.

If all your chains and sprockets look good, take a look for any slop in the axle bolts. That culprit tends to make a subtle "clicking" noise versus popping. Hustler used true axle bolts (shoulder screws) that are nice and hard, so they tend to wear quite a bit before they break. You might be running the original bolts, so look for wear here as well.

One other thing to look for is an axle that has slid inward or outward, causing a misalignment of the sprockets and the potential for a chain to ride up on a sprocket tooth. If you have a broken bearing race or eccentric locking collar, your axle may have moved a bit.

Let us know what you find out.

Arod07, Just ran into this exact same problem and as hydromike just mentioned mine actually was a front sprocket misalignment issue and only made the most noise when making a turn and extra load was put on that axle. I would start there. Not to steal Hydro's thunder but just throwing in my 2 Cents

Hey, 'Dude....

With your Max, had the axle walked in /out causing the misalignment, or was something else amiss?

Once in a while, we have some small group rides on the gas-lines and in the woods up on Grand Island. If you're up for it, you should join us some time....

::EDIT:: Oh, I just saw your post in your other thread where you figured out your problem... Yup, that'll do it, too.

Ill check it out after work where can I find sprockets and axels and bearing at for hustlers. I looked online and didnt find any sprockets.

The only real resources for Hustler axles and sprockets are Richards Relics, or to have someone (or yourself) make some for you. I've never priced them through Richard, but I can imagine their would be a premium for rare parts. If you're inclined, they're really not that hard to make. If you need to just replace a sprocket on a sprocket tube, they're realtively available through a number of sources (Buffalo Bearing, Surplus Center, Motion Industries, etc.). Getting a new T-20 output sprocket is just a call to Recreatives Industries away. You can cut the old sprocket off and weld the new one on a lot cheaper than buying a new tube/sprocket assembly.

The Hustler bearings are also regularly available from just about any bearing warehouse. You have 1 3/16" diameter axles on your 950. The material for new axles is pretty common. The stock axles are pretty hard (I don't know the material), and seem to hold up well to bending. I've had several stock axles exhibit cracking right at the through-bolt and have opted to repair them versus replacment. I've replaced the two front axles on my 980 with 4140 and have had good luck so far. I made the axles for my Super Swamp Fox (quite a bit heavier than the Hustler) out of 1-1/4" diameter 1045 TGP, and they're holding up well, too. The 1045 is a bit cheaper (not much...).

If you're into simple replacement (and want NEW) and don't want to go through the fabrication of anything (if you actually needed to...) I'd point you toward Richards Relics. Just be ready to pay for what he has. Other members on the Site might have some serviceable parts (axles or sprocket tubes) that they're willing to part with. Post an ad in the wanted section if you discover that your popping noise is a result of something that needs to be replaced.

Yes hydro, The cause of my axle/chain popping noise was from the bearing flanges not holding bearing tight and intern let axle walk in and out. Im sure axles weren't hundred percent aligned from the get go and just the little extra movement allowed by the walking of the axle during turning was enough to let the chains jump up on the sprocket a little bit. But yes i would be interested in riding locally if someone lets me know when and where. Thanks

Well check everything the sprockets on left side of trans is sharked fined and a lot slack in chain and all the axles sprocket holes are wallard out about half inch or so. So looks like ill be doing some fabrication.

+ Reply to Thread