Hustler 980 Info

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hustler 980 Info

Hustler 980 Info

Hi guys I have read about and looked at Hustlers the past 2 years or so and have a question or two. First off has anyone installed splined axles in their 980? Can it be done? What is the best chain to run in the 980 brand wise? I have looked at pics of a split shift set up and of a T-20 frame support beef up job. I have been wanting a 980 for a couple years but being in Alaska I just don't have the access to machines like the Hustler too often although a 900 just sold up here and was in good condition. I know of a 980 regular tub right here in my little town but the guy wants $2000, its in sad condition with a blown 18hp vanguard, rotted terra grip tires and needs to be completely redone and he calls it a max sidewinder even though it says Hustler right on it and we all know there is no such machine as a max sidewinder. I guess a person could somehow merge a max with a sidewinder lol? Again thanks for your time and input in advance. akranger

There have been several members that have installed splined axles in their Hustler 980's. It can absolutely be done. Good chains that I've used include Peer, Morse, Tsubaki, and US Diamond. If you could talk the guy down on that 980, I'd say go for it. It would obviously need a few bucks thrown at it, but in my opinion, the Hustler 980 is one of my favorite and most capable machines that I've ever owned. I actually prefer the shorter tub 980 with the 26's (remember there's a tall tub 980 and a very tall tub 980, both with factory 26x12x12 Goodyear tires). The 950 can only fit 25" tires, but came with 21's. Just be positive it's a 980 before you buy it. I prefer the shorter tub 950 because it's more stable in the water, it's more stable at steep angles, and it actually swims better than the very tall tub 980. Post some pics if there's any uncertainty. Splined axles, a big V twin, some Vampire ASX's and that thing will outperform any new machine out there. Let us Hustler nuts know if you need any help, we love discussing these great machines.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks again JP, I will take another look at that hustler soon. I really want a 980 mainly for my 13 year boy. I didn't know that there were 3 different tub heights, thanks. If you here of one for sale down there in the lower 48 could you let me know? Where would I look to get splined axles for a 980? Will RI axles work in the 980?

I don't think the axles for a max can be used in a hustler due to the axle length needed. The inner rail for a hustler is a U channel that holds both the inner bearing flanges. Maxes are farther out from the center. Forum member Whipper has made some for several members, try contacting him via a pm.

Dan's right, Max axles are too short and Whipper can make you up some 1.25" splined axles. He does good work.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for all the good info Dan67 and JP. If I do happen to find a 980 I will get with whipper about splined axles.

+ Reply to Thread