My first 6x6 Max IV project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: My first 6x6 Max IV project

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    ...These things are not built for speed anyway...
    I'd second the motion about lower gearing. My Max II does 28 MPH according to the GPS, and that's INSANE in a skid steer vehicle. I doubt I'll ever do it again after that "let's see what she'll do" test. Anything over 20 MPH, and it's all to easy to get out of control using a set of steering levers. If it gets somewhat off being dead straight at speed, it's not that easy to correct without see-sawing. Surviving a flip at 28 MPH would be a crap shoot.

On edit:
    The two times I've been out in the desert playing in sand, (After getting the GPS installed) following old roads etc. my average speed is 8 to 10 MPH. Going back to my truck that might be 15 miles away after a good run, I still only do about 12 ~ 15 MPH. If you want speed, buy a Polaris RZR.
    Last edited by Adondo; 11-25-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    "Sand is pavement to a 6x6!"

Who has the different size sprockets for theT-20???

Quote Originally Posted by BREEZE View Post
    Who has the different size sprockets for theT-20???
    Forum member whipper can make you up a set. He and his wife Bridget are great people and a huge asset to the hobby.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of changing the T-20 sprockets. Last year just for the experience of it I made a chain sprocket and found out how hard it is to make a good one. I was using Inventor to draw the part and got the point where I couldn't get the formulas from the handbook to work so I went to a much simpler description which didn't have all of the curves and clearances in it that the official one did. I'm sure that sprocket would have beaten itself or the chain up much faster had I tried to use it.

Thanks for the pointer to whipper, I'll get in touch if I don't run of money by that point.

Hi
    CVT clutch systems work as a pair eg 700 series comet 780 drive 770,780,790 driven
    Also u need the correct belt to match clutch width , and the center to center distance of the shafts .
    If in dought call Quality drive systems for supply of correct clutches and belt .

tomo

Six years after buying this project my now 15 year old finished it with help from some friends from the motorsports club at his school. A couple of days ago we put it on the trailer and brought it to school where he drove it to the quad as a prop for club recruitment day. Twice as many people signed up for the club this year as last so I think it was a hit. Top speed is kind of low and I suspect we may need a bit wider belt, the one we have has at least 1/8" clearance on each side of the driving clutch at the bottom and doesn't quite come up to the top of the driven. We still need to do a bit of wiring and make better floor boards, but it runs and he is incredibly proud of himself for having done so much of the work to get it there. I'm pretty sure I could have bought a running machine for what I spent, but the experience and confidence he got from doing it himself is well worth spending money on.

Thanks to all who answered my questions and provided help along the way.

That’s awesome. What a great experience for him.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Great to hear you have it in the finishing stages.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread