14hp vanguard and p85 clutch

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 14hp vanguard and p85 clutch

14hp vanguard and p85 clutch

Hello all. This is my first post. I went and picked up my 1st 6x6 yesterday. It is a terra tiger. I'm not sure of the model number. I came across a video on you tube where the guy said if the hubs were welded on that it was the smaller of the two sizes. Mine are welded on but some sort of conversion has been done. It has 5 lug wheels on it and carlisle tires. The original motor was gone. They gave me a 14hp Vanguard with a tapered shaft. My questions are 1) will the p85 clutch fit this tapered shaft. 2)Is the p85 clutch large enough for the original driven clutch? 3) Should I just sell the little motor and get something like a Rotax? I'm not looking for speed. Well maybe a little.

Oh yeah sorry if this has been already discussed. I looked over the forums but didn't really see and answer.
    Last edited by michael496; 05-22-2013 at 09:48 PM.

The Vanguards are GREAT engines. I'd stick with that. The tapered shaft is a bit of an issue, but you can go two ways with that. Tear it down and get a 1" keyed crank and put the engine all back together, or do something like get an adapter sleeve to make it work with a 4 stroke drive clutch. I'm not familiar with a P95 clutch, but if it's a 2 stroke one it won't work on the Vanguard.......you'll need a Comet 4 stroke drive clutch to make it function properly. Read this thread about the tapered shaft issue that Fred and Cory are working out:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...0ftlbtq-2.html

I personally would stay away from a 2 stroke if you're going to use it as a trail machine. The 4 stroke will be much better suited for that. And it'll still move it along quite well, those Vanguards are torquey engines.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Excellent advice. I read up on the Vanguard and everyone loves them. So I'll go with swapping out the crank then. I just have to find a source. I did find this one on ebay Briggs Stratton 16HP Vanguard LT166 303777 Crankshaft Crank Excellent Shape | eBay From what I read the crank for the 14 and 16 are the same. Is this a good deal for a crank?

Not a bad deal if it is in good shape. A new one from Briggs will run you 250$

2 problems with that crank, 1 single cylinder engine, 2 vertical engine.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    1 single cylinder engine
    Remember that the Vanguards share a common rod journal for both cylinders, much like a Harley Davidson V-twin. That's one of the reasons we can get the nice "lope" or "trot" out of them when they're cammed up, and why flat twins (separate rod journals) have such a smoother, unique sound.

EDIT: here, check this out.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/1157/motor.gif

Many other cool animations on this page:

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...rinciples.html
    Last edited by hydromike; 05-23-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Remember that the Vanguards share a common rod journal for both cylinders, much like a Harley Davidson V-twin. That's one of the reasons we can get the nice "lope" or "trot" out of them when they're cammed up, and why flat twins (separate rod journals) have such a smoother, unique sound.
    Was just coming back to adjust that.

Thanks for posting that,Mike! That's the coolest thing I've seen so far today. I've seen the "Malta Cross" configuration used in industrial turntables that "pause" during their rotation. They were referred to as "Geneva" mechanisms. From the Swiss watch makers.

Joe.

Which Comet clutch should I use? I now have a 1" shaft. I measured the belt that is on it. It's coming out to 1.055in. The driven clutch is 10". I see that the 500 series clutch supports a .920in belt. Does anyone know if this driver clutch will suit my purposes?

mmm looks like everyone on here is using the 780

+ Reply to Thread